BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I look at bikes, is there any way to inspect for the dreaded tranny seal failure that leads to clutch failure? Also, if the drain hole is drilled, does that insure the clutch will be spared if or when the tranny seal goes?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Drill a weep hole at the bottom of your clutch as well as on your slave cylinder, it saved my clutch when my transmission seal went, there is a write up on here on where to do it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me clarify, what, if anything, can I look for on a bike that is for sale to indicate a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
joevano said:
Let me clarify, what, if anything, can I look for on a bike that is for sale to indicate a problem?
Your going to have to test ride it, get it into top (a bit early helps) and give it some umph.
If the bike takes off - it's OK
If the revs go up, but no speed - the clutch is wet.

Mate of mine was following me when we came to a slow moving car. We hit a 2 lane just after and I went into the outside lane.
My mate said after that he was laughing his socks off - I just sat in that outside lane with the revs sky rocketting - no extra speed
THAT was a wet clutch

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
joevano said:
Joe,

You'll have to put the bike on the center stand and "crawl" underneath it and look at the slave "cavity area" for a small hole. IF you see one and it is dry, no problem. If you don't see one, then you've got to "ask yourself punk--do you feel lucky--well do-ya".

Mine had 39K and no weep hole. Replaced the slave when drilling my hole at 50K and saw some tranny fluid and it had past the felt barrier on its way to the clutch. No harm no foul and I'm safe.

If you see everything else is OK, i.e., heavy throttle and no slippage and there is no hole, plan on doing the slave thing (and clutch housing hole) and enjoy the ride.

While you're under the bike look for any oil leakage, particularly at the main seal area. This will be a royal Hemorrhoid if it leaks.

Definitely put the bike on the center stand and try to "wiggle" the back wheel 3:00 & 9:00 and 12:00 & 6:00. No movement allowed. You should move the bike. This will give you a feel for the rear drive.

Finally (or initially) maintenance records will let you know a lot.

Good Luck,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts