BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking around at toe behind trailers. would like to know if anyone has a set of plans for a unigo style trailer. i would also appreciate feedback on other kinds of trailers & there handeling diffrences
as i have never had one behind a bike.and have seen very few advertized.pictures of your trailers would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I suggest two places for you to start your trailer education,
one is right here just type the word trailer into the search function,
the other is the motorcycle trailer towing forum,
lots of good into there also.

You can spend as little or as much as you want on a trailer. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks lot of interesting stuff on the site. havent made any decisions yet but boy is the
hanagan lt trailer is very nice

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hannigan makes a very nice trailer. I've owned one for 8 years and have really enjoyed it. Their trailer is approx 27 cu ft and will hold lots of gear. It also has a hydraulically dampened suspension so the trailer does not bounce if you happen to hit a pothole or washboard section of road.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I've had a Bushtec for 3 1/2 years & about 30k miles on it. It has a full air ride suspension that can not be beet for a smooth pulling trailer. i even added an onboard remote controlled compressor so you can adjust the ride on the fly.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That Hannigan is a sweet looking trailer especially with the LT taillight,
I've only seen one going down the road (the other way) up in the U.P. of Michigan,
Reminds me a little of the ZZ trailer because of the way the lid is hinged.

Now I'm not "knocking" the Hannigan in any way,
just want to point out that the Bushtec has a full hinged lid
so when you open it everything is accessible

whereas the Hannigan and also the ZZ has a "partial" lid
so something has to get stuffed up underneath the front,
that means that if it's full something has to be removed
from the open section before the up/under section is accessible.

One more piece of advice I can give you
is you don't need to carry an entire spare wheel for your trailer (they'll try to sell you one)
all you really need is a spare inner tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i took a closer look at the zz is also a nice looking trailer. i seel what you about the way you bushtec lid opens. was looking at the suspensions a little closer let see if i have this strait
hanagan says indipendent trailing arms with a coil over shock
zz says it zero bounce is best(saw the video)
& i understand bushtec uses a air system that can be adjusted as required
they all seen like excellent choices

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I carry my "spare" around my waist, it just "popped on"
problem is now I can't get the damn thing off. :)

I used to have a spare wheel inside my trailer,
after thousands of trouble free miles and the fact that the Bushtec had mags with tubed tires,
I did away with the extra weight, and gained some space,
the Bushtec wheel tube isn't much harder to change than a bicycle wheel.
If I had the same wheels that Ron and other HF type trailers use I might also carry a spare wheel
although you can get them at any Wallmart.

The Bushtec has air suspension, a little air valve on the tongue just behind the hitch, works well,
when you add some weight just give it a little more air
or if you've got as much $$$ as Steve does, just push the button! :)

I can look in my mirrors at the canter of my trailer wheels and see if I have the right amount of air in my shocks.
A- (canter) not enough air, V- to much, H- just right,

like many others I mounted a little air compressor under the tour pack in place of the charcoal canister,
so I can air up anytime,
(love the look on stranded motorist faces when I blow up their flat on the side of the road)

·
Registered
224 Posts
We took the Harbor Freight route with the Sears cargo to. It was fun to build and has served us very well. I must admit...sometimes I forget it is there. Based on recommendations from the trailer section of the forum, I extended the tongue and put an Igloo Dockside Marine cooler on it. We are happy with the outcome. The hitch and trailer came in around $900.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
A lot of guys are happy with their HF trailer,
another similar one for close to the same $$$ is the piggybacker

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the piggy backer is kinda nice for the money have looked at quite a few on that trailering
site you mentioned, mabey i might buy one & try it for the season.i would hate to spend 4K and find out that a trailer is not for me. i could always lose less with a less expencive trailer to start.
but could also cause me to not like pulling because of a lesser suspension
(i hate thinking makes my brain hurt lol)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
bobst2 said:
the piggy backer is kinda nice for the money have looked at quite a few on that trailering
site you mentioned, mabey i might buy one & try it for the season.i would hate to spend 4K and find out that a trailer is not for me. i could always lose less with a less expencive trailer to start.
but could also cause me to not like pulling because of a lesser suspension
(i hate thinking makes my brain hurt lol)
No need to go without a good suspension - you can always roll 'yer own: ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well gonna look at two used trailers later. one is a plastic with a drop axle.the other is a more traditional wedge shape fiberglass set up not sure about suspension prob,leaf. i would be looking around 1K$ so i guess worth a look :wave

hopefuly not a bunch of junk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i went and did it. i bought a trailer a 2004 dart i looked at about 3 localy they were
junk. then on craigslist in seattle i found what seemed to be a good deal in oak harbor
washington. went down picked it up. it was only ever used 1 time its in perfect shape i will post some pick,s later.

now i gotta find a hitch :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts