BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m going to trailer my 2000 1200lt home I checked the four points that are suggested to attach the straps .They seem so low . I have only moved my Motocross Bike ,am I being paranoid? Norm

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are right to feel a bit paranoid! I finally got a nice chock to put the front wheel in my trailer, and my comfort level is much higher. If you have secure tie downs on those four points, however, you are good to go. It took me several trips, and couple different style of straps to get a system that works best.

I use four straps, with soft tie downs up front-to two different tie own points.
And two straps in the back. Don't be afraid to sock them down fully.

Good Luck

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
I use a chock and two large straps on the lower forks. I have two smaller stabilizing straps at the rear.

As long as you lock the front wheel down the rest of the bike is not going anywhere but along for the ride.

·
Registered
185 Posts
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oY4AAOSwBRNbx5KB/s-l640.jpg This is link to a Condor style chock --- it will "hold" the front wheel in place with only 2 straps at front & maybe 2 more for stability at the rear, like was previously mentioned. If you use the old style "Pingel" chock, beware that with only 2 straps on front, the bike WILL move or fall if either one of those straps fail. Ask me how I know :) The Pingel style is usable for lighter bikes , but I would have 4 straps pulling forward, not just 2 fwd and 2 rear. For the LT, get the better chock. Just my .02

·
Registered
747 Posts
I lift the seat and wrap straps to the frame members near the battery there, and then strap the front forks. I cross the straps over to the opposite side of the trailer so right frame member is attached to left side of trailer and vice versa. We all agree that you should NEVER use the handlebars to strap the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts