BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done this? Trailer is a 5x10 with 15" wheels, the deck sits 17" off the ground when trailer is level. It has a 4' standard swing down ramp. I have a locking wheel chock & know the proper tie down procedures. Concerned with clearance going up the ramp on level ground,the R1200C was not a problem but as we all know the LT is a different animal. P.S. Trailering this time is a must. Thanks rbots.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Put a piece of 2x4 or something under the tow vehicles rear wheels.This will lift the front of the trailer and lower the back giving less of an incline.

When I used to do sportbikes on my 16x8, I had a trailer tonge jack and would just jack up the trailer and rear of the truck at the same time.

If 18.5 million Harley owners can get their bikes onto trailers.
I am sure that you will be able to manage, just fine.
You're already ahead of the game by owning a BMW. :dance:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I took my LT to Nova Scotia on one, we had trouble loading on the mesh drop down that came with the trailer, lt broke through the mesh. took the gate off used a 7 foot folding ramp worked like a champ. No problems what so ever.
David
99LTC

·
Registered
461 Posts
Done the same set up ,no problem
the big surprise was how much the 4' mesh ramp killed the gas mileage ,made it hard keep Explorer in OD
took the ramp off and laid it down under the back tire of the bike and screwed it to wood deck with scrap wood got back 3 MPG
from Missouri to Calif and back it made sense

Bob G
99LT

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Level ground is the issue - go some place to load and unload bike where the trailer is are pointed down hill. May take a little time to find but besides the clearance issue loading down hill is safer and unloading, using reverse for speed control, is also safer.

It ispossible that the trailer suspension will help out here as you pull up the 850# bike the rear end o fthe trailer will sink down recreasing the angle of attach!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Just read up on the proper way to tie down the LT on a trailer- NOT BY STRAPPING DOWN THE HANDLEBARS!

Here's a link to the article= CLICKY CLICKY!

Otherwise, no worries!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts