BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Using SOFT TIES Loop 1 around the forks on each side just above the fender. Then hook the RACHET STRAPS to the ends of the soft ties and to the forward tie down point. DO NOT use cam lock straps as they can slip & loosen up. For the rear loop the soft ties around the frame just above the drivers foot peg. Be careful not to pin any wires , spring or other items between strap & frame. Then hook the rachet straps to the soft ties & to the rear tie down points.If using a front wheel chock tie ALL straps to the front of the bike pulling the bike into the chock.If not using a chock tie the front forward & the rear backwards. If towing long distance check straps every 100 or so miles, If using NEW straps Check a few times in the first 100 miles as the straps WILL stretch some.

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
What Steve said.

Just watch that you don't trap the brake lines or wires up front. If your tie points are forward enough and not too wide, you won't rub on any of the bodywork.

And I usually wrap the rear soft ties up near the passenger pegs, as it's a little easier to work up there.

A front wheel chock is a good idea if you have one. I've also used 2x4's to make up a simple wheel chock. Some trailers and U-Haul trucks have wooden floors so you can easily just nail them in place and pull them out later.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Please do use an enclosed trailer so the poor GT doesn't have to bear the public humiliation of people thinking it's a Harley. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had to trailer my GT over two mountain passes (600KM) as we are still in the "it could snow" season. I just followed the instructions in the owners manual and all was fine. Did the checks every so often and it was fine. Use some rags / old towels on each tie point to stop the rubbing and ensure you are not trapping any hoses, cables or wire. Near the front fork tie point there is a chance of pinching any of the above so just take some time to be sure.

Dave...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts