BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to trailer my bike down to KY. from MI, and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on using my 4x8 trailer that has removable sides. The trailer is rated for 1500 lbs. and I had no problem using my trailer when I took my sons GSXR to him in MD. from MI. I realize that my bike weighs twice as much as his. I do have a locking wheel chock mounted as well as tie down mounts. I've looked at renting an enclosed trailer but they are going for $60.00 a day, little too steep for my wallet.

Quadrunner

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
If it's rated for 1500lbs you should be OK.

Does the bike fit in it length wise?? At 8 feet it might be tight.

Also, DO NOT use the handle bars to tie it down. There are instructions in the Hall of Wisdom here on proper trailering of an LT.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did measure bike, and it looks like it should fit. securing bike. My trailer tilts and I have a winch installed on it, so as long as I can safely loop strap around forks to help in lifting bike onto trailer I will attempt to do so. Plan B is to borrow a trailer that is 5x10, but I have to drive an hour to pick it up, but if that's what I have to do so be it. Thanks for posting back.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
quadrunner said:
I did measure bike, and it looks like it should fit. securing bike. My trailer tilts and I have a winch installed on it, so as long as I can safely loop strap around forks to help in lifting bike onto trailer I will attempt to do so. Plan B is to borrow a trailer that is 5x10, but I have to drive an hour to pick it up, but if that's what I have to do so be it. Thanks for posting back.

keep the suspension free after tie down, if not, the shock seals will eventually give way.

the rear tie downs are only to keep it from bouncing side to side, not racked down hard.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
If it fits on, in the wheel chock, and you get four tie downs on it, you should be fine.

The best advice was given already, DO NOT take the suspension out of the suspension.

It needs to use it's own suspension to take the bumps.

Tracus and I pulled his RT and my LT, side by side, a bit staggered a few years ago. Open trailer, behind Tracus's RV. We had our way with the wood floor mounting our Condor http://store.condor-lift.com/products.php?product=Trailer-Only-Chock Wheel Chocks. We had no issues at all. Other then keeping gas in the RV there and back :D

Read the link posted, take note of the brake hose strap placement, the frame under the bags for the rear and you should be good to go.

As to your loading not sure on that but if a winch is involved I would assume that means you need two to get it on and off. I guess there would be a remote control on those by now? So maybe one guy only? We had a big oll wire gate ramp. I know I stressed the dill out of it with the LT but she held :) The RT did not bother it :rolleyes:

Have fun and just check it after a few miles, then at your gas or pee breaks. You can chalk or tape each side of the rear tire on the floor to see if she is moving around in the rear. I used my excess straps to tie the front wheel into the chock, but you can drive a bike into a Condor and get off, the bike will remain upright.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One thing to be aware of. I put my LT on a 5x10 trailer and headed for the local dealer. The wind buffeting coming of the back of my pickup about tore the windshield off. The handle bars shook back and forth.I had to drive slow. I will never haul mine on a open trailer again.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Anybody use these? Or is it safer to just follow the manufacture's advice and strap the front forks?

·
Registered
276 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Don't even THINK of using those... front forks and rear luggage support brackets with soft ties.
Absolutely not, as Ron said. When I bought my (new to me) LT I trailered it home that way, with soft ties on the handlebars, on the advice from the dealer I bought if from used. It cost me countless hours tearing into the bike to put the handlebars back to their proper position, rather than resting on the tupperware. I was fortunate there was not more damage done. About the only positive thing was that I learned A LOT about how to remove/reinstall the tupperware, handlebar covers and other sundry items :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have trailered my LT couple of times now; go to walmart and get 4 soft ties 2 for $1.88;
wrap them around the front forks twice ( one per side, 2 spares ), loop through its self; secure the tie down to the anchor on the trailer and to the loop on the soft tie; tighten down, check at all stops or untill you feel comfortable that the straps are tight. I generally have to tighten at 50 and 100 miles and the next morning if left on the trailer over night. I also use tie wraps to to lock the rachet part of the strap to keep others from messing with bike. I trailer the bike uncovered but cover it at night.

as other bikes pass you while you are in an AC vehicle sipping a cool beverage....it is envy
on their faces ......smile and give friendly a friendly wave....even to HD riders

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thank you both! I hope to never have to use the tie down straps so I figure if I buy them then I will never need them :) I was with someone that had to be towed to the dealer on a pickup and he had those bar straps and I was wondering if they would work on the LT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is often recommended (even by BMW) to use 'friction' tie down straps as opposed to 'ratchet' type straps. I had a bad experience with the friction types, having to pull over on the side of a Chicago interstate when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw my 'new' bike leaning at a 15 degree angle! I found the nearest Home Depot and bought ratchet tied downs and was careful not to ratchet them too tightly, but firmly enough to prevent the bike from leaning one direction or the other.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I use a bracket that sits across the frame above the battery, and pulls downward using an eye-bolt on either side. I had to trailer it home last week, and had it on the center stand, pulling forward, then a strap around the back wheel pulling back. It seemed to ride well, but I got to wondering if it would have been more advantageous to leave it on its wheels, with the suspension just lightly loaded. Any thoughts or opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
With your 4 x 8 trailer do you get enough tongue weight to prevent swaying/fishtailing? I had a 5 X 8 tilt and that was the main problem with hauling an LT. The pivot point was a few inches ahead of center on the trailer bed and this would not allow sufficient weight to placed on the tongue. I now have a 6' x 10' and it is trails much nicer.

Just a thought, you may want to load your bike and check to see that there is sufficient weight on the tongue. I believe the target is a minimum of 10% of the weight. Don't want your trailer to start fishtailing at speed :eek:

Roy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone who posted. I ended up using my brothers 6x10 open trailer with a locking wheel chock and tie down straps using the prefeered method securing down the bike. Trailered it all the way down to Frankiln NC to run the Smoky mountain loop along with the Blue Ridge Parkway. The SO and I decided to vist Deals Gap and run the Dragon Tail loop., all I can say is if anybody ever has a chance to goto this part of the country it's well worth the trip. We also found another beautifull run between Frankiln & Highlands NC, stopping along the way to take in the waterfalls. At some point in time I will post pictures, but I'm in the process of cleaning up a flooded basment from all the rain we had here in Michigan last weekend.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Anyone walk up to you while you had your bike on a trailer and say......"Is that a Harley?"......... :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oh come on, just Man Up and pay the price.:rotf:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts