BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
This is my first time so please bear with me.This summer I plan to ride my K1200LT from Mi to Alaska where I have a KLR 650 waiting for me to do some dirt riding.I want to bring the KLR home with me by pulling it on a dolly.My question is ,has anyone heard of this being done?Any suggestions to help would be appreciated.Thank you.
c dekryger

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
cdekryger said:
Hi all
This is my first time so please bear with me.This summer I plan to ride my K1200LT from Mi to Alaska where I have a KLR 650 waiting for me to do some dirt riding.I want to bring the KLR home with me by pulling it on a dolly.My question is ,has anyone heard of this being done?Any suggestions to help would be appreciated.Thank you.
c dekryger
First, welcome to the site!
I have seen this done but you need to get a trailer hitch on your LT. Not going to give an opinion on the brand but there are plenty of opinions if you do a search. I have a Dauntless hitch.
Then you need to buy or borrow a small flatbed trailer like a Harbor Freight, just long enough for the bike. Lash it down real good and drive slow and carefully.
By the time you spend on all of the above you may be better off planning to ship it unless you will need the hitch on your LT for other uses.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Hi charles , You might think about flying up , and riding the KLR home . A friend of mine's son road his KLR up there & back from Michigan a few years ago, so... the bike is up to the task .

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Pulling a motorcycle is not a new idea and it can be done,
I'm not sure if I would want to do it.

My first concern would be the weight of the trailer and motorcycle,
specifically the center of gravity with the bike on the trailer.

I've owned a few trailers and I do not like pulling anything more than around 300 lbs (combined weight)

I agree with Joe, that it might not be cost effective,
and I will give you an opinion on hitch brand name,
if you're going to pull anything "heavy" get the Bushtec hitch,

Do a search for that and you'll find more of my opinion on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hans,

Great pics..I especially like the one of the GW with training wheels pulling the BMW 3 series.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Those Goldwing /towtruck pics have been around for a couple of years,
here's the rest of them

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts