BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one tell me where to take the trailer plug wiring from? Is there an existing thread that deals with this? do I need a series of electronic relays so as not to stuff up the on baord computer by connecting normal globes to it?

thanks guys, in anticipation of your answers. Dave

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Isolation Relay

Dave, you don't mention which year bike you have. Short answer is yes, you need an isolation relay to power the trailer electrics. It uses a tiny trigger (around 100 mA) signal from the bikes loom to control the lights on the trailer, but derives it's own power direct from the battery. Mine came with the trailer manufacture (Bushtec) but I believe they are available through automotive supplies as many newer model cars share this feature (Bulb monitoring) I tapped into the loom along the rear subframe, rather than at the Tail Light. Either work. Sorry I can't be of more help. ps how are you handling the heat. We had 40 here on Sunday. Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heat yeah!

was 41.5 on tuesday last when I road the LT back the 200ks from warrnambool to ballarat after my annual leave three weeks holidays . not much fun realy.

Where did you find out whch wires are which? and how did u access the rear sub frame? Is that it just under the seat on the left side?

bike is 2002 model.

I am an electrical contractor by trade, so have a rough idea about auto elec stuff, does it require a bank or relays or can I buy one the does all the required switching work internally?

·
Registered
855 Posts
dave4462 said:
was 41.5 on tuesday last when I road the LT back the 200ks from warrnambool to ballarat after my annual leave three weeks holidays . not much fun realy.

Where did you find out whch wires are which? and how did u access the rear sub frame? Is that it just under the seat on the left side?

bike is 2002 model.

I am an electrical contractor by trade, so have a rough idea about auto elec stuff, does it require a bank or relays or can I buy one the does all the required switching work internally?
I have a 2002 & a Uni-Go. I just spliced into the wiring in the taillight. It's handled everything just fine. No relays, no problems.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The LT has some very sophisticated electronics, ABS is just one of them.

An isolator relay is very cheap insurance that will prevent a short perhaps in the trailer wiring or the connector from taking out the LT electronics, which would cost mega-bucks.

In the States these are available from Bushtec or Dauntless (both trailer manufacturers)

They're probably available for cars also but I don't know anything about that.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Relay Position

Dave, once you've followed the wiring loom up from the tail light assembly plug, I joined under the right hand side. It helps to remove the RHS pannier to gain access. The actual relay is quite compact and self contained. I used 3M velcro, the industrial type, to fasten it to the plastic. I will admit that doing it this way is more work, but once installed, and all the bits back in place, it is very seamless. I've included a couple of pics. The relay is labeled.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts