BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

trailer wireing

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sarris 
#1 ·
got my bushteck hitch & harness today install going good.i have the trigger end at the bike tail lights done.
my question is i have to run power from the battery (obviosly lol) when i attach the output stuff to the trailer white is ground,should i splice/tee the trailer ground wire and send one to the trailer & one to the battery.
i am pretty sure i have to or there would only be a power wire going to the relay assembly ?

#2 ·
Why not run your trailer wiring directly to the bike tail light wiring block located behind the tail light assembly? Everything you need is right there.

Good luck!

#3 ·
bobst2 said:
got my bushteck hitch & harness today install going good.i have the trigger end at the bike tail lights done.
my question is i have to run power from the battery (obviosly lol) when i attach the output stuff to the trailer white is ground,should i splice/tee the trailer ground wire and send one to the trailer & one to the battery.
i am pretty sure i have to or there would only be a power wire going to the relay assembly ?
The Bushtec wiring harness should of had a wiring diagram with it. If you wire it like they show you will not have any problems. There should be no need for an extra ground wire.

#5 ·
I recently had a trailer built for my dog. Works great and easy to tow. I am struggling with the wiring. I have and '03 K1200LT. Can someone please tell me the relay that I need? Thanks. I was surprised how easy it is to tow. Just gotta watch the tongue weight and keep it around 10% of trailer and load weight. and give yourself time to stop. and stop with the trailer in line with the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.