BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to trailer my K1200LT and the only trailer I can find does not have the front wheel brace. I can't modify the trailer.

Is it safe to haul this bike without the front wheel brace?

I was going to tie it down as recommended 2 on the forks, 2 on the rear brace, and maybe one across the seat...

Its a 4-hour drive. Need it to be safe. I never hauled a bike, not sure how critical the front tire brace is.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Depending on the trailer, you could place the front tire against the front railing, given there is one. The big concern there would be in getting the proper weight distribution on the trailer/axle. Too much or too little tongue weight means trailer sway.

As for the tie-down method, I would NOT put a strap across the seat. I think there would be just enough movement to do nasty things to the seat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only time I hauled mine, was in a large u-haul box truck. Had no floor tie points and no wheel chock available. So parked it diagonally with front tire in one front corner.
Then just doubled up on the straps off the usual tie points and left it in gear with the side stand dropped as a backup measure.

The truck was big enough I didn't have to worry about weight distribution.

If you do point it into a corner, then plan on taking the mirrors off first. Would protect against rubbing or other damage.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why can't you put a wheel chock in the front? Is it a rental?

My little trailer has a chock bolted and the deck is 1/4" plate steel. I wouldn't try to trailer a bike without the front wheel wedged into some kind of narrow space (again DAMHIK).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Can't you make one out of 2x4s that extend to the side walls to prevent lateral shifting?

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I trailered home my 05 on my flat metal bed trailer over 2 1/2 hours w/o a wheel chock. Probably helped my nerves that I couldn't see it because of the load of supplies on the back of the truck. =-}

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Can't you make one out of 2x4s that extend to the side walls to prevent lateral shifting?
Exactly. That's not a bad temporary chock stand-in.

I wonder if you couldn't use ratchet straps around the front wheel to stabilize it. Specifically: run a strap from one side of the trailer to the other, but loop it completely around the wheel/tire on the way to the other side. Do that to the leading edge and the trailing edge of the front wheel and you'll have some restraint. 2 separate straps.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I too would fab a temporary front wheel block. But as far as securing your bike these are used on the bike and then hook your strap to them. Places like the front fork lower tree or brace, rear frame, etc. I have 4 and even take them on long trips for the tow truck to use if there is something unfortunate.

Ancra Soft Hook Tie-Down Extensions - RevZilla

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would like to trailer my K1200LT and the only trailer I can find does not have the front wheel brace. I can't modify the trailer.

Is it safe to haul this bike without the front wheel brace?

I was going to tie it down as recommended 2 on the forks, 2 on the rear brace, and maybe one across the seat...

Its a 4-hour drive. Need it to be safe. I never hauled a bike, not sure how critical the front tire brace is.
I found this article from BMW, maybe it anwsers your question?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts