BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've orderred a Third Wheel trailer and am thinking about fabricating my own hitch, has anyone done this? I was thinking of using the tie down tubes under the saddlebags as a mounting point. Anyone used this location for a hitch mount? pictures?

Also, its a five pin socket, I understand I need some sort of isolator due to the ABS, again I'm hoping someone has done this prior and maybe has pictures or a wiring diagram.

thanks

Ron

·
Registered
85 Posts
ron
i made the hitch on my 2001. did use the saddlebag rails/mount and the brace behind the mudflap, made a removeable reciever so it doesn't show when not pulling the trailer.
i did not use any isolator but it is my understamding that if you have the integral abs/ linked brakes you do need an isolator.
john

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can pick up the coverter/isolator for the 5 pin to a 4 pn standard connector at any trailer shop for around $20.

I bought the DMC trailer and hitch last year. I have pulled my little tag-a-long 10K mile this year without any issues.

Good luck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
drjohn55 said:
ron
i made the hitch on my 2001. did use the saddlebag rails/mount and the brace behind the mudflap, made a removeable reciever so it doesn't show when not pulling the trailer.
i did not use any isolator but it is my understamding that if you have the integral abs/ linked brakes you do need an isolator.
john
Got Pictures? I'm in the process of duing te same,

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a big difference in a "converter" and an "isolator". Isolators will actually hook up to a separate power source and only receive a signal from the lights. these usually run closer to $40. A converter just allows you to run a 4 wire light system from a vehicle that has the amber signal lights like your LT. There is a way to not need either. Wire your trailer up with 5 wires and amber lights and use LED lights. Enjoy the time with your bike building a hitch and wiring it up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
bulletbill said:
Got Pictures? I'm in the process of duing te same,
bill
i don't have any pictures, if it warms up enough to get out to the garage i'll try to get and send some. i fashioned it after a duantless hitch(dmcsidecars.com). i chose the design because you can remove the rear tire w' little trouble.
john

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Here's some pics of the "Classic Industries" towbar/hitch made in Oz that I'm using on my LT. It connects to the 4 x saddlebag mounting bracket points. It'll give you an idea for shape and mounting...
Main problem with it is you have to remove the whole thing to change the tyre, but then its only 4 bolts...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
This is a picture of what you're talking about mounting to,
wimpy hollow tubing.

here's a picture of a Dauntless hitch

And next a Bushtec hitch, notice where it's mounted

and where it's pulling from

(it takes an extra 5 minutes to remove when you're changing a tire)

Structurally to me it's a "no brainer" I'm sticking with the Bushtec

You decide what's right for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Get your concern Hans, but... isn't that the same wimpy hollow tubing that both you and your wife (and all of us) trust to hold you up when on the bike?
I'd certainly be interested to hear if anyone has had a break from the type of mounting described.... because I'm heading off on a big trip in a couple of months and I want to know now if I'd need to brace the towbar at any other points....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Custom Cruiser Chrome has a K1200LT hitch in either chrome or black powder coat for $245.95. Their web site makes me think that they primarily deal with Harley hitches. Their hitches are designed to pull a max weight 650 pound trailer with a 65 pound tongue weight. There is a good bit of information on their web site about pulling a trailer with a motorcycle. Their web site says the have hitches for over 290 different bikes. I have never heard of anyone using this hitch on their LT. At $245.95 this hitch may be worth looking into. Here is their web site.

http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/product/135

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think pulling a wheel barrow backwards on a LT could get you booted off this forum... :rulez:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chris, I used the Dauntless for a couple of years with no issues. The only place I see you getting into trouble is if you compromise the path of the trailer, ( curb, rock, serious hole etc.) in which case the integrity of the frame will most likely be the least of your worries. Don't overload, drop a gear, and allow yourself more time and less speed for braking. Have a blast.

Peace,

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,109 Posts
I highly recommend using an isloator on the trailer lights. The wires back at the tailight are robust but the rest of the bike's harness is faily small diameter wire and it can be stressed by the trailers light load. Best if you are running LED lights in the trailer if you don't use an isolator.

Wire sizes are 20 running and 18 for stop and max enclosed load on 20 gage is 7.5 amps.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks to everyone for the comments and photo's, I ended up buying a used Dauntless from the Classifieds in this forum, it comes with wire harness and sockets which makes things a little easier.

Ron

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great thread! I too am thinking of fabricating my own trailer hitch and the pics here are the most descriptive that I have found so far.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
cws said:
Get your concern Hans, but... isn't that the same wimpy hollow tubing that both you and your wife (and all of us) trust to hold you up when on the bike?
If you look at the picture again you'll see that my fat @ss sits directly above the electrics,
my pretty 110 lb wifey sits just forward of the crossbrace,
the rest of it is used for saddlebags and the tour pack.
It is designed to support weight not to be pulled on from the bottom and rear.

As far as having issues,
that's going to depend on how much weight you're towing,
a Dauntless hitch is a well designed product for a 100-150 lb trailer lightly loaded
(I've owned two Dauntless hitches and four trailers)

With a heavy camper like Bunkhouse (250+) the Dauntless flexes fore and aft,
you can actually feel it when you hit bumps especially parking lot speed bumps,
we all know what happens when you keep pulling metal back and forth, eventually.....

the old Airhead BMW's were notorious for cracking the frame if you put a tour pack on them,
they are still using the same tubing today.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Spenceer said:
And I spent a couple thousand on a U-igo when I had one in my back yard all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts