BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have searched archives and not found an answer to my unfortunate circumstance. Any help is appreciated. Tried to back my Lt out of a trailer chock. Had the bike in reverse and tried to reverse it out of the trailer chock. The reverse button down and the bike was trying to back out. Then reverse quit. Have not been able to get it to work since. Is there a fuse or relay that could have burnt out, or have I fried the reverse module? Thanks and God Bless you for your help!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
As you know, the starter motor is used for reverse. I have used reverse to back out of a chock on a couple occasions without problems. You might want to recycle the reverse knob to be sure it is seated properly. Of course check the sidestand and neutral just in case.

There have been problems in the past with the reverse speed sensors...but that causes it to back up a short distance and stop.....then work again for a short distance on the next button press..

Ron

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,921 Posts
The reverse button is the starter button. There is no fuse in the circuit. Like kellenbenz said recycle the reverse selector switch. Make sure you can start the bike then switch back to reverse and hit the starter and see if she will back up. The selector , in addition to engaging gears, also transfers the signal from the starter button to the reverser controller. The engine must be running. Also check the terminal point behind the battery and to the shifter side. It is the tie point for the starter motor input, reverser controller output and the starter relay output.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I had read about the intermittent issue in the archives, but that is not what mine is doing. One moment it worked fine, and the next it had quit completely. Currently replacing the fuel filter and the fuel lines that come off the bottom of the fuel pump. Haven't read about the issue I had with the fuel lines, but one of them collapsed and the bike was starving for fuel. Will check out the reverse again when I get it back together. God Bless :wave

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
It's a coincidence you should mention the wheel chock and reverse issue as I set my '06 into a chock the other day and must have had the rolling lock set too high. The front tire was really tight in the holder and when I tried to roll the bike back it wouldn't move. I attempted to use reverse to get it out and all it did was grunt. After some serious rocking, (and a little cursing), it did come out. I was a little concerned I might have done something to the reverse but it seems to be working OK.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The only way I could ever get my LT out of the chock was with reverse.. I must have had mine set ok cause it would back right out....

Good luck with the reverser issue...

John

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
When I change my tranny oil, I use a chock so the center stand isn't in the way of draing the oil. I use blocks under my feet (I'm a 31" inseam) so I can help the reverse back the bike out of the chock. I've done that twice with no issues.

Hope you solve your "no reverse" problem. Add it to this thread when it's solved please. I'm going to change my tranny oil in 2000 miles and may need to know what happened in your case.
Thanks in advance. :bmw:

Love this site!!!

I need to update the miles iin my sig as I'm now at 134,642. YeeHaa!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tooo funny! Looks like a loose connection. After figuring out the issue with the fuel, fuel line under the tank had kinked, causing the bike to starve for fuel. I replaced the two fuel lines that had the sharp bends in them. Before putting the new lines on, I went to Tractor Supply and purchased a couple of springs that would just fit inside the new lines. Now they have a nice bend without the possibility of kinking. Anyway, started her up, put her in reverse and "bazinga" she backs up fine. God Is Great!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
notn2bars said:
Tooo funny! Looks like a loose connection. After figuring out the issue with the fuel, fuel line under the tank had kinked, causing the bike to starve for fuel. I replaced the two fuel lines that had the sharp bends in them. Before putting the new lines on, I went to Tractor Supply and purchased a couple of springs that would just fit inside the new lines. Now they have a nice bend without the possibility of kinking. Anyway, started her up, put her in reverse and "bazinga" she backs up fine. God Is Great!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Good on ya - don'tcha love it when a problem is solved and no more worries in that category!! Best always.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts