BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good traffic lawyer in Memphis?

I was visiting the Friday before Memorial Day and was lucky enough to score a ticket for 60 in a 55 on I-240.

I am guilty, as we all travel five over.
I hold a Class A CDL and have a clean record and would like to keep it that way.
I don't mind the fine, I just don't want the ticket to show up on my license.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
60 in a 55? They must be hard up for money. Maybe they couldn't catch anyone doing more than 65. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Normally, At least in Oklahoma a ticket for less than 10 over does not show up on your record..

It's all about the money..Surely you could look this up. Normally the officer tells you at the time. "Now this won't go on your record or against your insurance".

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The officer couldn't tell me anything.
He said I had to call one of the six ticket offices on the back of the ticket...
I often work in Memphis and will be back in the next couple weeks.
I just want this to go away. I think a lawyer will make it disappear faster than I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
DANG MIKE ! ! !

I can't even imagine ANY leo pulling someone over for +5, let alone give a ticket.

There wasn't more to the story?? A trail of sparks? One finger salute?? Something?

They take the CDL very serious. I'd hate to think there was more serious backlash due to 5 over.

I believe the BMW speedo has a documented 5 over error, mine does at least. Maybe your Liar (Lawyer) can work that angle.

I feel your pain.

Good Luck
 

·
Slow Old Guy
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
JPSpen said:
Normally, At least in Oklahoma a ticket for less than 10 over does not show up on your record..

It's all about the money..Surely you could look this up. Normally the officer tells you at the time. "Now this won't go on your record or against your insurance".

John
Careful with that one. Had a LEO in Nevada tell me that since he was only writing me for 19 over it wouldn't show on my Calif. record. I believed him, paid the fine and forgot about it. My insurance went up for three years due to the fact that it did transfer over to California. I deserved the ticket, just wish I would have checked on the reciprocal thing.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,459 Posts
MikeERideWNC said:
Anyone know of a good traffic lawyer in Memphis?

I was visiting the Friday before Memorial Day and was lucky enough to score a ticket for 60 in a 55 on I-240.

I am guilty, as we all travel five over.
I hold a Class A CDL and have a clean record and would like to keep it that way.
I don't mind the fine, I just don't want the ticket to show up on my license.

Thanks.
Don't know how this would work on your CDL, butt could you take a defensive driving class; pay the fine under the deferred adjudication feature of the court, and be done. I did that here in Tejas and it didn't show up on my record nor wuz the insurance company involved. Just an idea, unless it's not an option in TN or the CDL prohibits it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Call the District Attorney's office in Tenn, they should be able to help you out for $200 or so.
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Dick said:
Don't know how this would work on your CDL, butt could you take a defensive driving class; pay the fine under the deferred adjudication feature of the court, and be done. I did that here in Tejas and it didn't show up on my record nor wuz the insurance company involved. Just an idea, unless it's not an option in TN or the CDL prohibits it.
Dick with a CDL you CAN NOT take defensive driving. Don't ask how I know. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't use my CDL.
I wasn't on a bike.

Apparently, Memphis was running a zero tolerance crap over the weekend.
I topped a hill and there he was. I was alone and a very easy target.

I talked to local people who know of drivers getting three over.
It is all about money. God knows TN needs it. Memphis is the laziest city in the US.

I don't mind giving them a donation.
I just want the tictet to go away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
Mike I can't help you with your ticket. And I know its not about the money(for you) I am dying to know how much is the cost of communism for 5mph over in TN?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll post up when I find out.

I firure, 150. court cost and 10. fine.
TN is odd. I haven't gotten a ticket since 2001 and it was in TN, also.
It was 127. court cost and 10. fine. All points and ticket withheld. Judges Sec. took care of everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Hi, Mike.

TN must be pretty desperate--ie BROKE--to be ticketing for 5 over. I always thought they let the first 5 or so slide for calibration variations on the radar.

It almost sounds like that side of Tennesse has taken to cracking down on bikers the way they have over the on the Dragon.

If so, big mistake. At some point, these states--with even the slightest inclination toward tourism--are going to figure out that MCing is not a poor man's sport. And we can vote with our dollars just as easily as motorists.

---------
James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
JG3GA said:
Hi, Mike.

TN must be pretty desperate--ie BROKE--to be ticketing for 5 over. I always thought they let the first 5 or so slide for calibration variations on the radar.

It almost sounds like that side of Tennesse has taken to cracking down on bikers the way they have over the on the Dragon.

If so, big mistake. At some point, these states--with even the slightest inclination toward tourism--are going to figure out that MCing is not a poor man's sport. And we can vote with our dollars just as easily as motorists.

---------
James
I don't know how it is in TN, but in VA the RADARs have to be checked at the beginning and end of shift. They have to be +/- 1 mph or they are considered out of calibration. The equipment to check the RADAR's is check every 6 months. In my area we normally give about 9 over. At 10 you're considered a valid target. Below that then the ticket would have feathers on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
MikeERideWNC said:
Anyone know of a good traffic lawyer in Memphis?

I was visiting the Friday before Memorial Day and was lucky enough to score a ticket for 60 in a 55 on I-240.

I am guilty, as we all travel five over.
I hold a Class A CDL and have a clean record and would like to keep it that way.
I don't mind the fine, I just don't want the ticket to show up on my license.

Thanks.
Just pay the darn thing so these post go away...................I did....:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The fine is 24.00.
Lawyer is 75.00.
Court costs ? ? ? ?

I have a clean Class A CDL and I want to keep it that way or I would pay it.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top