BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all;

anyone have 2.65/2.70 shims to trade or sell me?
i need at least 2 of the 2.70.
but i will take what you guys have.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I buy tire pressure senders from these guys, they are great but here are their bucket shims:
They seem to be about 21$ US after removing VAT. But then there is shipping so if you don't need anything else it might be a wash as they are 36$ at the dealer:
11 32 7 666 046​
CAM FOLLOWER - 2,70MM​
0.06​
X​
$36.30​

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,916 Posts
I have helped so many with bucket swaps I know have nothing but 2.90 buckets, anybody found another use for them?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jzeiler I believe they would make a fine Tablespoon measure! I too have nothing but 2.8 +

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I think with a real lapping plate (flat with cross hatches in it) and some compounds medium to fine these could be converted. The hard surfacing should survive the removal of 3 or 4 thousanths. A fun experiment. I've taken a class in scraping steel and cast iron flat to 50 millionths and it is an interesting process for that. Allowed me to make some amazingly flat surfaces. Hours involved though. But lapping is common and easily done. But a new plate is pricey. I've used one working with pumps and other machinery. Tedious but results happen.
If a bunch were taken to a machine shop they could make a set up and quickly do a batch.Here is how it is done one at a time, of course you will need some good measuring tools too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same here. anyone need 275 and up, i have about 20 of them.
2.70 get harder to find. and the dealers wont trade anymore.
oh well off to the shop i go,,oh yea

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,031 Posts
I think with a real lapping plate (flat with cross hatches in it) and some compounds medium to fine these could be converted. The hard surfacing should survive the removal of 3 or 4 thousanths. A fun experiment. I've taken a class in scraping steel and cast iron flat to 50 millionths and it is an interesting process for that. Allowed me to make some amazingly flat surfaces. Hours involved though. But lapping is common and easily done. But a new plate is pricey. I've used one working with pumps and other machinery. Tedious but results happen.
If a bunch were taken to a machine shop they could make a set up and quickly do a batch.Here is how it is done one at a time, of course you will need some good measuring tools too.
When I had access to a surface grinder I have ground them a couple of thousands down and polished them with white rouge compound. I also had access to a profilometer so I could repeat the surface finish of a new one. It took a bit of polishing to get the finish the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts