BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am requesting some help thinking and deciding what to do.
I am 67 and really enjoy my recently aquired 05 LT but I am getting a little scared thinking of all the potential problems I might encounter with the LT which has 45k on it. I am scheduled for a major maintenance and rear rotor/pads replacement next Tuesday which will probably cost around $1,200.00 with valve check which has not been done since 12K.

I found a 2001 R1200C Montana with only 1,200 miles on it, but, they want 2k and my LT for it. All the oils FD, trans, motor, brake fluid flushed and renewed. My only concern here is dry seals from the low mileage but it has been used recently and no oil leaks or clutch issues thus far anyway.
I think the C would be easier for me to handle and ride with my 29" inseam, although not as good for touring which I do little of. I am thinking it is a more basic design and easier to maintain with no tupperwear to remove etc. Being underpowered should not be an issue because I ride one up only these days. It does have ABS. I also realize they are two different animals one being a cruiser and one touring. But I am thinking the C should ride very comfortable and the engine should be smooth and quiet and I would still own a BMW !!

As far as trying to sell my LT and then buy I would probably ask about 8,500.00 for the LT and they are asking 10,500.00 for the C model so it is a wash and if I trade I only pay 6% sales tax on the 2k difference here in Pennsylvania. The R1200C's seem to be at
a premium due to supply and demand. I have seen a few between 6 and 8k with higher mileage on them.

So am I thinking stoopid?
I realize I am the only one who can make the decision but I welcome comments, comparisions and experiences being new the the BMW world.
Just do not flame me too bad. :confused:
Willie

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Willie,
You're right in that you are the only one who can make the decision. I kind of like the looks of the R12C bikes. I'm not familiar with the Montana, so can't comment on it. The LT can be a challenge for someone with a short inseam, although there are people here who have made it work for them. If that isn't so much of an issue, then we can move on to the possibilities of failures you brought up. I bought my 2005 LT with 12,9XX miles on it. It had a final drive failure at approx. 12,500 miles. The factory set up the FD. The shop that rebuilt it, put it back together just the way it was. Dave (Saddleman), the best friend a person could ever hope to have, (just in case he reads this :D ) took it apart, checked it, and put it back together with the proper preload. He has since checked it again and it was just as he set it up before. I don't worry too much about stuff that might happen. There's nothing I can do about it anyway. I can't prevent what I can't predict. I can do the maintenance on the LT and not let the stuff I can control get old and nasty. So far as FD failures go, changing the gear oil and looking closely at the drain plug magnet is probably one of the most important things to do. You'll probably need to do that on the R bike too.

Besides the radio that quit working, I haven't had any problems with my '05. Some maintenance items are a pain on it. Bleeding the ABS unit is a biggie. Tough to keep the brake fluid from getting all over the ABS unit. The wheel circuits are a snap. Or is that a squeeze? :histerica If you can do some of the maintenance items yourself, or check the forums for a member in your area who loves to turn a wrench, that will save you a TON of money. Good luck in your decision-making.

·
Registered
681 Posts
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/3109656935.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/3090008219.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/3071071888.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3095866381.html 2004 w/ 42xx miles, $8100

Not to try to sell any bikes on the site, I was just trying to get an idea of what a
R1200C was worth.....well, none of these bikes have only 1200 miles on them, but when you are talking a bike that can easily exceed 150K miles, the difference between 1200 and 10000 miles is hardly anything at all....If it is all about peice of mind, then get something new. But given the market as I see it here in Seattle anyway, the price you are being asked to pay seems a little high.....as far as seals go, modern seals don't dry out....as they are not wet to begin with, That is a concept that was part of the old leather/composite seals, not modern rubber seals...although they may rot in the sun after a hundred years or so.... :cool:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
The COMFORT of riding an LT is big for me. If you go from and LT to a C, you loose a whole lotta COMFORT.
Just my .02's worth.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
vernvernvern said:
The COMFORT of riding an LT is big for me. If you go from and LT to a C, you loose a whole lotta COMFORT.
Just my .02's worth.
+1

I put 24k on my C before trading up to the LT. Actually the dealer tricked me. I left the bike at the shop on Friday and he suggested that I take the LT home for the weekend. By Monday morning I was in his office talking trade and he was laughing.

The C actually requires more cleaning and polishing due to the extensive chrome. And the chrome must be maintained or it will discolor.

I must admit that the C was easier for running errands and you get way more attention.

Greg

·
Registered
795 Posts
I can lend my opinion here because I have an R1200C and K1200LT in my garage in active service. First, that is a bad deal, that price sounds way, way too high for a C. Here are a few things to consider from my experience:

1. Accessories for the C are virtually non-existent, when you can find them on Flea-Bay or other places you will get used items as (almost) nobody makes anything for them anymore, and you will pay through the nose. Consider the thought of adding a backrest for the pillion (although a montana should have a backrest and saddlebags), the trim ring will likely cost you well over $600 for a used one (after you have searched for a year or more to find it).

2. As mentioned previously, cleaning it is much more time-consuming than the LT, at least if you want it to look nice.

3. You will take an enormous hit on comfort, I can do a 5-hour ride on my C and I am dang near crippled at the end, 5 hours on the LT is like 20 minutes on the C.

4. Ride and handling on the C are not nearly as nice as the LT. It has the telelever front but does not have the paralever rear. I don't exactly know what it is but it seems that I have to 'ride' my C, my LT just seems to respond to my thoughts.

5. The saddlebags that will come with it are teeny-tiny compared to the LT.

6. I have yet to find a good highway peg system for the C, there are a couple options, but I have the engine guards that have a place to put your legs on top but that creates a very awkward position.

7. Two things I really don't care for now that the weather is over 110, your feet are mere inches from the bottom of the cylinder heads which make them hot, and the oil coolers are conveniently placed to flow the hot air directly on you, when it's 30 that's nice, when it's 100 it sucks.

It must sound like I hate my R1200c, the opposite is true, I wouldn't trader it for all the tea in China! I love it with a singular passion but it has its place and owning both bikes allows me to keep it in its place. I ride it to work every day and it is perfect for that. In daily traffic that is slightly slower than a baby's crawl it is much easier to keep it upright and going where you want than the LT. So if you are using it one-up locally then it is a great bike. If you are trying to use it as a touring bike, look elsewhere, like maybe a CLC. You will give up a lot to go from the LT to a C, things like Cruise Control, wind protection, storage capacity (both weight and bulk), range, and a pillion puts that thing at just about the top of it's weight limit. The biggest thing you will be losing is comfort, and a whole heap of it.

As far as power goes I have never run into a situation on either bike where I needed more, but the C seems to jump off a stand-still a little better, although my old man can smoke me on his LT even though I can get a jump on him at the start.

Think about the things you like and dislike about the LT and write them down, then see if you think the C will meet those needs. If you have anymore detailed questions about the C feel free to contact me and I will try to provide as much help as I can. Can you link the ad for the bike you are looking at? That might help also.

And one last thing, the C is still a BMW, and those Germans are still PO'd about WWII so it is still a #$%! to work on, you just don't have Tupperware to deal with.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
copperstatetour said:
I can lend my opinion here because I have an R1200C and K1200LT in my garage in active service. First, that is a bad deal, that price sounds way, way too high for a C. Here are a few things to consider from my experience:
And one last thing, the C is still a BMW, and those Germans are still PO'd about WWII so it is still a #$%! to work on, you just don't have Tupperware to deal with.
Thank you very much for all the good information! This gives me alot to think about until next Tuesday, that is when the dealer is open again.
Due to the fact that you have and ride both makes a good comparison for me to consider. I wish I could have both as well would be a perfect combo.
I know it is a high price but there are very, very few at dealers where I can trade the LT
on a C model. If I want to trade on one I will ahve to take a hit.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You mentioned being concerned with potential problems that may arise with the LT. Can I assume that the model you're looking at is free of potential problems? (Yes, of course, I can assume any darned thing I want, right?)
I doubt I would or could own my LT if I had to pay for service and repair. So I wonder if something other than a BMW would suit you better? Maybe something along a sport touring type model. Comfortable, fast, good handling and cheaper maintenance.
Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lee510 said:
Willie,
You're right in that you are the only one who can make the decision. I kind of like the looks of the R12C bikes. I'm not familiar with the Montana, so can't comment on it. The LT can be a challenge for someone with a short inseam, although there are people here who have made it work for them.
Thanks so much for your reply and help!
I can do OK and my feet touch down pretty good but if I am on a gravel type parking lot
or slightly uneven ground I really have to be careful. I have only put about 1,500 miles on it so far but I have not dropped it, YET !

thanks !

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gruivis said:
+1

I put 24k on my C before trading up to the LT. Actually the dealer tricked me. I left the bike at the shop on Friday and he suggested that I take the LT home for the weekend. By Monday morning I was in his office talking trade and he was laughing.

The C actually requires more cleaning and polishing due to the extensive chrome. And the chrome must be maintained or it will discolor.

I must admit that the C was easier for running errands and you get way more attention.

Greg
I can see where the LT would be alot more comfy than the C and it has a lot more features. I especially like the cruise control but can do without the radio and CD.
also have been considering the cleaning and polishing of the C ! I like to keep my bikes very clean, even underneath and the C would most certainly be a challenge and time consuming.

Thanks for the reply !

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 03 KLT and a 2001 r1200C Montana. Am 73 and I have similar concerns as you. For the LT, I acquired a Hannigan sidecar--which I enjoy and feel safe with. No longer have to worry about the big girl's weight and no fear of dropping her.
The Montana--if in nice shape, is one hell of a machine. It is so powerful, you have to be careful with the trottle-not to make a wheelie. I love riding it, it is comfortable, sits low with both feet solidly on the ground. On the highway it's firm on the road and rides as good as the LT. I think you'll love it as much as I do.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Those who belittle the C have not owned one..
They're very nice bikes and tour just fine....

I went from an LT to a CLC and with the exception of the seat, It's an awesome machine..

The seat was also an issue on my LT...Russell fixes that..

My CLC has everything the LT has except the adjustable windscreen...

And because I don't have to worry about dropping it all the time.. It's a much more relaxing ride... Stopping an LT is a matter of careful planning and execution...And I'm not short or small...

An RT is a nice choice as well...

John

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just wanted to add, that you need to obtain an after market center stand. The C does not have it, but to mount the center stand...there is a flange to attach to. It raises both wheels off the ground, makes it easier to service, but most of all, it makes cleaning the spoked wheels a whole lot faster and easier, because you can rotate the wheels. Spray with chrome cleaner, rince off and you'r done. Have a "spoke brush" , sold at bike shops.
Make sure this one does not have pitted chrome. BMW had a problem with the c series-chrome pitting and was solved right around 2001.
John is right. The CLC is a great alternative to the LT.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmm,if I could have two bikes,one would be a K1200LT and the other an R1200C.Wait,I had one of each,just three years ago.And then I met R1200CL.Sold the LT and the C,purchased the CL.Now,45k miles later I'm a very happy camper/rider.The LT is in it's own league as far as luxury touring goes and so is the C as a cruiser.As the JPSpen mentioned,the CL gives you most of the comfort features of the LT and it also gives you the legendary boxer and the cruiser feel of the C.All machines require some maintenance and things can go wrong.That C Montana has way too little miles on it,if it was me I would pass on it.With that being said,I would recommend you look around for a CL and take one for a test ride.You just might end up wanting one.
Take your time and enjoy whatever you end up with.Robert.

·
Registered
795 Posts
WillieC said:
I know it is a high price but there are very, very few at dealers where I can trade the LT on a C model. If I want to trade on one I will ahve to take a hit.
Would an RT or GT fit you? I have given a lot of consideration lately consolidating to a single bike since I don't do any 2-up trips since the baby came along. For me I can just pick what I want since I don't have any height issues, 1st choice would be a GSA, then either an RT or GT, not quite sure. Anyway, all I am saying is that if I were trying to replace a K1200LT I wouldn't pick a C just simply due to the comfort on long rides, I think one of these others would be a better mix. As others have mention the CL(C) would be a better option, I just find them to be fugly, where the C is a thing of beauty.

The problem with my consideration of consolidation is that I just love that darned R1200C so much I can't bear the thought of parting with it, which should atone for my earlier slander of the model.

While you are thinking, head over to http://www.chromeheads.org/ and check out that forum, you will get all the dirty grit on the C. I have never been able to figure out why there are so many C's out there with next to no miles on them, it is a good bike for what it does and I ride the snot our of mine. I just cranked 40k on it as a daily mule and it runs perfectly, maybe I'll get around do doing a valve adjustment on it one of these years...

·
Registered
795 Posts
WillieC said:
I like to keep my bikes very clean, even underneath and the C would most certainly be a challenge and time consuming.

Thanks for the reply !
Think of it as a date with your best girl, time well spent :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
JPSpen said:
Those who belittle the C have not owned one..
They're very nice bikes and tour just fine....
I went from an LT to a CLC and with the exception of the seat, It's an awesome machine..
My CLC has everything the LT has except the adjustable windscreen...
And because I don't have to worry about dropping it all the time.. It's a much more relaxing ride... Stopping an LT is a matter of careful planning and execution...And I'm not short or small...
An RT is a nice choice as well...

John
YES, I like the R1200CLC a lot !!! This will be a much better choice for my needs.I was not aware of the model although I have seen the fairing in photos on the WEB. It has most of the features I like on my LT, it is a little lighter and has lower seat so I think we have a winnner for me. Now I just have to find one. Between Ebay Motors and Cycle trader there are only two listed and they are in Wisconsin and Chicago. I believe one is an 03 and the other an 04 and both are around 7,500 which is also a better price.

I love the LT and will be quite happy riding it until I find a CL or CLC close enough to me to trade my LT and I am guessing that may take a while. I asked about the R models at the dealer where I got my LT and they say they are all too high for me but no CL or CLC there to see.
I may put the LT up for sale but I think there is a limited market for them here.
I have never seen one other than mine and if I park at a restaurant people always say "I did not know BMW made motorcycles". I saw one R1200RT at a town about 30 miles from here about a week ago and that is all. Harleys seem to be the bike of choice. I am amazed at how many there are anymore as they are about 90% of what I see on the road. They are all friendly and wave so life is good and I have owned Harleys and liked them as well.

I am a member of the Chromeheads WEB site too so I can check their classifieds. I have not received the OK to post from them yet so I can only look.
I been checking their site for about a week and find it not to be as friendly and helpful as this site is but a good site none the less.

Thanks to all :)
Willie

·
Registered
795 Posts
WillieC said:
I am a member of the Chromeheads WEB site too so I can check their classifieds. I have not received the OK to post from them yet so I can only look.
I been checking their site for about a week and find it not to be as friendly and helpful as this site is but a good site none the less.

Thanks to all :)
Willie
10-4, this site is top notch!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Some better eye candy to help with your decision..

The day I brought mine home..

·
Registered
11 Posts
The others are right, only you can decide what is best. For my 2 cents: I purchased an '05 new, and have 38k on her. I moved to NorCal from LA and commutted for some three months. I have had very little trouble w/ my LT, and the comfort factor is a big one. I too have turned 60+ and am considering what to do to continue on. Have you considered having your LT triked? Yes, there is a cost issue, but I have enjoyed my LT so much, (after riding for 45 years she's the best ever) that I am coming over to the trike side of things. There is still a market for a triked bike when that day comes and you can no longer ride. The safety and comfort are still there.....just a thought.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts