BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of doing the 12K maintenance and have a question for the experts. My GS911 shows that the TPS is not adjusted correctly. The bike idles perfectly, runs great and gets good mileage. The questions is should I do the TPS reset process, or leave well enough alone? I already have the tank off, so I can get to it, but what is the consensus on to mess with it or not?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I am in the middle of doing the 12K maintenance and have a question for the experts. My GS911 shows that the TPS is not adjusted correctly. The bike idles perfectly, runs great and gets good mileage. The questions is should I do the TPS reset process, or leave well enough alone? I already have the tank off, so I can get to it, but what is the consensus on to mess with it or not?
The TVA has to be removed at some point during the GS911 measurement or it will show incorrect adjustment. That being said,

If your bike runs well, has good mileage idles well and starts by pushing the start button without requiring any throttle, I would leave it alone. You can't ask for more than that.

Doesn't sound like a problem that needs fixing.

Reactions: trussell

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Or as the saying goes regarding engineers: If it ain't broke, keeping fixing it until it is! :grin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I would leave it alone, but you never know! Time to button her up. New plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter and hoses, coolant change and lubricants. All done and and all should be well for a while!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
To avoid confusion there is a procedure to perform after a battery disconnect that is called "TPS reset". This has nothing to do with the 911 issue showing it is out. It just speeds up the "learning curve" on the ECU after a loss of 12 Volts.

The GS-911 procedure calls for the TVA to be unbolted, then measures the TPS "zero value", which is handy as it will tell you if one of the return springs are off the butterflies. DAMHIK.

Enjoy the ride as they always do better after a good service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at possibly doing the GS911 procedure. Fixing what isn't broken isn't the best course of action. Having fun working on a K bike again. Should have never sold my RS to begin with!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I was looking at possibly doing the GS911 procedure. Fixing what isn't broken isn't the best course of action. Having fun working on a K bike again. Should have never sold my RS to begin with!
I have fixed a lot of things that weren't broken including replacing my TPS and the GS911 procedure can be problematic as well as accessing that inside hex screw to get it loose and tight again. I thought I had a bad spot on mine but it was likely bad plug wires. If you have no issue to correct then don't make one.

John is right to point out the difference between the "reset" and "adjustment" procedures based on your title versus the content of your post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts