BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had bmw put a new bmw battery in the bike last week ... the bmw tech told me that it was not necessary to do the tps after battery change on the 05 and above ... does he speak the truth?

Also ... since the battery change the bike is different ... here's my observations ... might be my imagination though

1) fob activates locks and alarm fron a lot farther away - this one makes sense to me

2) bike seems more responsive - maybe due to more voltage to the injectors?

3) bike seems smoother running - maybe the same as above

4) turn signals seem to auto cancel now where before it was hit or miss - makes little or no sense to me, maybe better voltage?

5) camping and vanity lights seem brighter - makes sense

6) center stand seems peppier - again better voltage?

7) fuel gauge went to the top on the last fill ... never did that before - maybe I overfilled a little although I'm really careful - maybe better voltage

8) I now can go at least 4 days (haven't not ridden it longer than that since the new battery) with the alarm set with no apparent slowing of the starter ... previously, sometimes overnight would require a jump - this one is obvious

I'm curious to see if these improvements are perceived or actual, based on your experiences.

All in all ... putting a new battery on the old gal was a much more positive experience than I thought it would be ... the old battery was put on in August of 08 (written on the side of the battery) ... I have been putting the bike on a bmw trickle charger since I bought it ... I was told by the bmw tech that with all the computers on this bike, it will drain a battery in about 24 hours if the alarm is set, I know now that with a good battery, this isn't true. Thanks in advance for your comments and insight.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I put a new Odyssey battery on my bike last week and I believe the centerstand does deploy with a little more authority. I didn't notice any of the other things you mentioned though.

When I started the bike this morning it had been sitting for five days without the battery tender and WOW, what a difference a really hot battery makes. I am satisfied that I didn't waste money by replacing the old gel battery too soon.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
rusmckay said:
Your alternator is responsible for all items after starting. Nice try
Not exactly. For any loads that exceed the alternator capacity the battery will make up the slack. I don't know if the center stand draws more current than the alternator can provide, but at idle I can easily believe this could be the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts