BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

does anyone have experience on the new little tire pressure sensors?
I have had a SmarTire system since 2005 and the rear sensor (the large one in the first pic) gave up after 11 years and about 100000 miles and the front sensor continued a year or two longer. In addition SmarTire has discontinued their motorcycle systems. I remember seeing a video of somebody opening the SmarTire sensor just to find out that the battery inside cannot be purchased anywhere...

Anyway, the new 50 USD set from China looks 15 years newer than the SmarTire and it has a small solar panel for charging! Plus I found a nice place for it in my cockpit.

But the sensors! They are barely larger than the valve cap itself! They hold the battery plus pressure and temp sensor and a bluetooth unit. How long will these last? Probably not for 100.000 miles or 10 years but more than a month? And of course one could open this up with a hacksaw in hopes of changing the battery but then you will have two halves on the table...:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry! I take this back...

After some studying in Youtube and fiddling with my new sensors I found out that they can be easily opened and the CR1632 type battery changed. The manual of my set said nothing about this possibility...

And with the old SmarTire sensors...I bit the bullet and pried it open and now I am in the process of trying to locate those Panasonic 3V button batteries or the closest ones. If I succeed I will report later on.

Regards

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,774 Posts
Ari,

I have found those batteries in an Allied Electronics catalog but I never ordered them. FWIW I bought 10 SmarTire units from a guy on Ebay when I got them the displays were in PSI and Temp was C so I have not sold very many (nobody here wants C they want F). Anyway the good news is that is determined by the display alone and the sensors will work for your system. I have used one of them for my extra rear wheel and it provides me with PSI and Temp in F. I have several spare sensors now. Let me know if you want a few sent over your way in case you want to go back to the SmarTire. They are new but old stock and I am still using my original set for 12 years now.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John,

big thanks for your kind help and offer! I could have guessed you have a solution for most every possible problem a fellow LT rider can come up with!

I got the SmarTire sensor apart yesterday and found those special batteries from a webshop (TME, I think they are located in Poland) and ordered six units (two extras in case I screw up something...)
Anyway, I will give a try to get the front sensor back together when I receive the batteries. The rear sensor is still in the wheel so I have to see how I succeed with the front one. Before I put it back I have to find a way to somehow spin it outside the bike and see if it wakes up. The Honda rider whose instructions I found used somehow his trailer wheel to spin and test the sensor.

If my repair fails I will surely get back to you since I don't want to leave my dash mounted SmarTire as a monument only! If the Chinese set works, fine. I will have 2 tire pressure monitoring systems which is still nothing compared to Larry Rosenstiel's four GPS units...;-)

Best regards

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Ari,

To test my sensors I built a pressure chamber out of 2" PVC pipe.
Cap on one end, other end socket x thrd adapter and thrd cap with Schrader valve
drilled into cap. Use a valve stem with a nut inside the cap.
To use, insert sensor, screw on cap, pressurize to 40-60psi.
Shake to activate or simply release 10-15 psi of air. This will activate
whether moving or not.

Dan Martin
BTW, my 03 LT still has one of your stickers from a CCR long ago.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Dan!

First of all, sorry for messing up your bike with our BMWKLTIBMIxOF sticker...:laugh:And I'm impressed those have lasted this long, I guess it was in Rapid City -09 my buddies and me glued our "promotional stickers" on quite a few bikes early in the last morning before leaving.

Thanks for your advise for the sensor testing. Your process of course would test also the pressure sensor while the other method (shaking or fixing it simply on bicycle wheel) would only verify whether the sensor wakes up at all. I probably don't have all the stuff for making the test pressure chamber in my garage but let's see how my project will turn out...

If you still have your LT, how many miles have you put on it?

Regards

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,774 Posts
They do need pressure as well as a shaking to test. I built one just like Dan's out of PVC pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts