BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a Fieldsheer Auto Tech Jacket for the fall riding season. My basic requirements are a 3/4 jacket (shorter ones let the wind up your back) that is water resistant and doesn't billow or balloon up behind a fairing at 80. No funky colors or silly sayings on it, please. Nothing over the mid $200 range.
Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Hi Ed,

I bought this jacket http://www.compacc.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=3714 a couple years ago, and love it. I look forward to fall riding each year just so I can wear it. It does not breath at all, too hot in 75 deg + weather. Liner works well, tons of pockets and storage, very water proof. Gets a little stiff in freezing temps. I liked it, and the price so well I bought the matching pants this year. Also has lots of armor, but I remove that stuff. For $150 can't beat it.

Hope this helps.

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
We used the Kilimanjaro jackets for many years. They were comfortable and did exactly what they were designed to do. They were waterproof at first, but after several years and a lot of miles, that diminished somewhat. The fleece liner is good to the 40's behind a large fairing, and the vents help into the low 90's. You can add a heated liner for the cold, but there's nothing you can easily do for the heat. There are tons of pockets, flaps, and plastic hooks in the chest area that may be useful to some but for me they just seemed to get in the way of the vents. Plus the arm vents were pretty small and hidden behind storm flaps, so they were of limited use.

We now use the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jackets. They are waterproof due to an inner liner, and have an outer cordura section that can zip out to make it into a 3/4 mesh jacket. This really extends the upper temp range. I've ridden for hours at up to 110 degrees (with a CamelBak), but my wife is too hot at anything near 100. They are good down to the low 50's or high 40's, but you can also add a fleece liner or heated vest. Note that they also come with good armor, plus a back protector, and the impact points (elbows, upper arms, shoulders) have an extra layer of heavy cordura that stays in place even when converted to mesh. The quality is much better than their Phoenix jackets, though I have had a few zipper pulls break off (same issue with the Kilimanjaro).

I know that First Gear now makes a Kilimanjaro Air jacket that many people love, though I haven't ridden with one. I think they're a bit pricey, but should meet the rest of your criteria.

I'm still in search of the perfect 4-season jacket. It would be comfortable, with excellent armor, fully waterproof from the outside shell, and with large, excellent vents that can be opened easily and quickly for higher temps. I'd probably go with an electric liner for lower temps, but I'd like to not have to carry anything other than jacket shell and liner. I can sometimes see from the 30's to the 100's in the same long riding day, and I hate stopping just to change riding clothes. The search continues . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Auto Tech

Hi I have the FieldSheer Glenn Scott Jacket and feel that the value in the Jacket is great. The only problem I have with the Jacket is the inside Zipper. It has a smaller inside Zipper and then a larger outside Zipper and I had to have the inside zipper replaced this year at a local seemstress which ran $25.00. I have ridden in downpours and the jacket has really proved to be an excellent value for everything outside of the zipper. I paid $130.00 for it and Got one for my wife as well. We have had them since spring of '04 and they are holding up well.

Here are some links:
http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/products.php?catID=4&heading=Jackets&catname=Textile

These people are liquidating their Fieldsheer line.
http://www.brocktoncycle.com/catalog_keyword_search.asp?keysearch=Go&keyword=Fieldsheer

Good Luck
-Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts