BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I’ve done mostly 4-5 day trips on my 2021 1250RT where I could just plan around weather (although I did get the pleasure of riding in the snow on a couple of Colorado passes). I’m planning a much longer trip next month and I’m sure I‘ll be dealing with heavy rain at least a few days. Has anyone had any issues with rain, particularly with switches and the TFT? Or is the bike pretty well protected against water ingress?

Any thoughts on getting a half cover for overnight? My concerns there are that if the bike is already wet then I’m just sealing in the moisture. Also I wish that the world was such that theft wasn’t a concern but it is. Anyone with a half cover simply had theirs taken while parking overnight?

Thanks for thoughts, shared experiences, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think your bike will be fine running in the weather. They are made to do that.

Yes, when I tour, I use a half cover on my bike, more to keep prying eyes off my bike than protect it from weather although if it does storm at night, it will help it stay drier.

I also have a Goldwing with a leather Corbin seat and if I don’t cover it water will pool on the seat and soak into the stitching.

Guess I have been lucky, never had any theft problem, but I take my GPS, Spot, tankbag, etc off or lock them in a pannier.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have ridden in several downpours and thunderstorms with no issues. I carry a half cover and only use it if bike will set in the rain (makes it easier to prepare for ride that day) or there is a concern about security (out of sight out of mind). Never had a cover stolen or heard from one of my friends that did either. Wind took it off one time and ended up wrapped around car tire in the parking lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the positive reports. I’ll be riding from Colorado to New York City to visit my daughter, then to Acadia National Park. I haven‘t decided on the route back yet but I‘m sure it will be fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The wettest I've ever been is on a motorcycle in heavy rain. A good rain suit is a must and you have to have a good seal around your neck and wrists else even with the best rain suit you will get wet. The bike has always done fine.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Water Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

I had no issues on my cross-country road trip. This inexpensive rain cover kept the bike dry even in pouring rain.
I put the cover on each night whether the bike was wet, or dry. Usually, with the summer heat the cover would be dry in the morning along with the bike.
(Shooting through the hotel window in Flagstaff.)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Here is a good source for a cover, I recommend the half cover. As mentioned the bikes are designed for weather. I use my cover as soon as I park for the night. Keeps the sun and rain off and little kids from messing with it. Light, small to pack and quick to dry.
You on the other hand need an Aerostitch suit, they have plenty of choices.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
389 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
364 Posts
I've only ridden at night in a torrential downpour, once. Neither I nor the other vehicles on the road, could see the road markers, or even where the road began and everything else ended. It was not a fun time. I know folks ride successfully in heavy rains all the time, but getting wet is the least of my worries. Visibility is chief among mine, i.e. being able to see through my fogged up glasses and pinlock visor, though the rain to the road itself. I figure the bike with good tires will hold the road. I'd be terrified to ride in ice and snow, but I know that some folks do that regularly, as well.

My routine policy during serious rain is to just get off the road to shelter, or make my own with a tarp. Rain usually passes, and if a day is scheduled for heavy rains, it's probably a better day to rest than to ride. However, as I am aware, in some parts of the (USA) country, you could be "resting" for a week waiting for rain to "pass", so being prepared to ride in rain is necessary. I guess I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've had a miserable 11 days of almost continuous rain on a 15 days tour. The only parts affected were the rider's and pillion's morale. 😕
RTs are made to ride in all types of weathers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It is an outdoor vehicle and performs as such. If you can keep moving, you can stay relatively dry as well... the RT allows you to ride in a pocket of air that works pretty well.

No issues for me with switchgear, etc... A cover is good and there are usually holes or loops that you could use with a bicycle lock or whatever to dissuade petty thieves. Obviously if someone wants to remove the cover they can, so park under a light if possible.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I also take a half cover with me on trips, but depending on hotel if they have a covered entrance way and you ask nicely most times they will let you park under the entrance.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
So far I’ve done mostly 4-5 day trips on my 2021 1250RT where I could just plan around weather (although I did get the pleasure of riding in the snow on a couple of Colorado passes). I’m planning a much longer trip next month and I’m sure I‘ll be dealing with heavy rain at least a few days. Has anyone had any issues with rain, particularly with switches and the TFT? Or is the bike pretty well protected against water ingress?

Any thoughts on getting a half cover for overnight? My concerns there are that if the bike is already wet then I’m just sealing in the moisture. Also I wish that the world was such that theft wasn’t a concern but it is. Anyone with a half cover simply had theirs taken while parking overnight?

Thanks for thoughts, shared experiences, etc.
Your bike will be quite fine! I have just arrived back from your areas a couple of weeks ago, and had gotten into some pretty heavy downpours in Kansas, when I was making my way from here to my son's place in Evergreen, CO. I did have a 1/2 cover with me, and used it most of the time that the RT is parked in hotel parking lots. Mainly for security reason. Steering hard left and locked, alarm on, and the 1/2 cover hide away things that people may want to inspect and possibly mess around with. As for sealing in the moisture, I think that you are worrying too much! :) It's usually just one night parking. It would be totally another matter if you are talking about parking it for several of the winter months. In that case, my RT do get dusty as it is always parked uncovered in the garage. My choice!

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Bike will be fine. Get some good raingear and put it on at the first sign of inclement weather (once you're wet, the raingear won't help - so get that stuff on first!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts