BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a winter jacket and am wondering which to purchase.

I have read many threads about the Darien and am convinced of it's quality but It seems that you need the electric vest for it to really keep you warm. Adding the electric takes the jacket to $613, with shipping. The Tourguard advertises for $659 but I can get a discount buying at the local BMW shop.

How does the Tourguard stack up against the Darien?

Does anyone know if the Tourguard is warm enough or will a vest be needed for it as well (30's, 40's, 50's)?

Brian Smith

2005 K1200LT
Oklahoma City

·
Registered
666 Posts
For commuting in OKC, I use one-piece roadcrafter with fleece. I don't need the electrics till about 25F. For longer rides, I use electrics below 40F till warm, then off, then on again, etc.

Don't have a Darien, but supposed to be warmer than roadcrafter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a First Gear Kilamanjaro II that I'm very pleased with and that's a lot less expensive, good to low 40's with its fleece liner and lower with the Gerbings liner. Waterproof -- tested it in some serious long downpours. It also vents very well -- I rode through the Black Hills comfortably in the 90s last month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul,

Do you have the light version or the reg?

Thanks,

·
Registered
435 Posts
darien

I've had the 2 pc darien for years. If it gets cold, or even cool, you may need something underneath. I sold my very salty size L a couple yrs ago so I could get the XL and put the back protector in it and still have some room left.

I use the gerbings windproof heated jkt. I would recommend something windproof underneath if its cold, you will need it. I always pack my gerbings.

I have the Black XL Darien jkt that I may be willing to depart with in like-new condition.

I'm going to have to buy something bright w/reflectors if I plan to continue riding to work (new stoopid rules made up by some cager). It has all the TF-2 padding, including the back protector.

I still use the pants a lot, but only use the jkt on long trips. I haven't worn it much since I got it, most of the trips I've used my vanson mesh or my leather.

This is the time of year when the Darien shines in my opinion, its an indestructable combat jacket.

I can't speak to the other brand since I haven't used it.

regards...geo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts