BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders! I am enjoying my newly acquired 2002 K1200LT. My immediate concern is the throttle which is quite hard to turn! This bike doesn’t require much throttle spin to get up and go but I’m curios if this is common?

·
Registered
565 Posts
How do you tell if you ride an LT?

Your right wrist is huge! Or you have carpal tunnel.....

Don't lubricate. You might check if your 02 has the cable upgrade-easy to tell if on the right handlebar, the cables are out of the plastic. If you don't have that, it is one thing to fail on these bikes (ask me, as I watched mine loaded onto a tow truck)

Kirk from IL BMW riders has some videos which will help you with EVERYTHING you will want to know.

Welcome to the group. This is the best forum for information you will appreciate keeping your bike on the road.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Hello fellow riders! I am enjoying my newly acquired 2002 K1200LT. My immediate concern is the throttle which is quite hard to turn! This bike doesn’t require much throttle spin to get up and go but I’m curios if this is common?
This is an easy fix and was something that was replaced on many early bikes. I've been away from it for a while. A search should bring up the solutions.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Check to see if you have the upgraded throttle cable design. that helps alot. but yes its normal, you get to used to it pretty quick.
Have fun with the best bike on the planet.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Check to see if you have the upgraded throttle cable design. that helps alot. but yes its normal, you get to used to it pretty quick.
Have fun with the best bike on the planet.

Zeke

come on Zeke Its not bloody normal to be stiff, it is common though!! if the throttle operation is 100% it is as smooth as butter and not stiff,
daveslt, you will need to replace the cables to fix the problem

Reactions: DanDiver

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
It is not normal and can be fixed. Get it to your dealer..My 2002 was the same and it was fixed.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
come on Zeke Its not bloody normal to be stiff, it is common though!! if the throttle operation is 100% it is as smooth as butter and not stiff,
daveslt, you will need to replace the cables to fix the problem

I stated that wrong. all i meant was it got better when I installed the new cable design. My fault, we all make mistakes. I just had to clarify.
After the upgrade and 300000 miles I have had no issues.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Damn Zeke! That’s a lot of miles! I hope I live long enough to take my LT to that kind of mileage! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Damn Zeke! That’s a lot of miles! I hope I live long enough to take my LT to that kind of mileage! Cheers!
LOL I noticed that too. a picky of your speedo is required :grin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for being dense guys, but how exactly do you determine if your bike has the throttle upgrade?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Look at your bottom handle cover if the cables go right behind to cover, its the old style if it enters a hole about 4 inches down the cover its the new style.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Look at your bottom handle cover if the cables go right behind to cover, its the old style if it enters a hole about 4 inches down the cover its the new style.
Not entirely true. I cut the hole and moved my cables through it on my 2000 model. Big improvement.

Robert

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Here are pictures of both the old with the molded piece and the new with the two separate curved pipes. As Scouter-50 said and did with his original cables, there is a cutout in the bottom bars cover on the right side to allow a different routing of the cables. You can purchase the new under side with the hole already cut out or make your own with a dremmel. Not an inexpensive upgrade kit though.

Attachments

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Hopefully, the picture is self-explanatory. I didn't realize how dirty the controls were, but this is the new basic set up for the new cables. Some owners may have done a better job with the installation. It made a world of difference for me when I bought my cables and changed it over!

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Another point of view showing the updated throttle cables, mount bracket, and hole cut in the lower right handle bar cover.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts