BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the bike is cold, it is moderately hard to shift into 2nd, and really hard to shift into 3rd. I just changed the transmission lube and there was no change before to after. I have not changed the clutch fluid yet as I was having trouble getting the bleed screw in but I doubt that could cause this. 23K miles on the LT.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Is it stiff or just doesn't want to go into gear? My first guess is linkage needs lubrication/grease or gets too stiff in cold weather. I'm sure the tranny fluid you used is rated for cold temps...and I've not read anything about tranny fluid being an issue with hard shifting.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reid said:
Is it stiff or just doesn't want to go into gear? My first guess is linkage needs lubrication/grease or gets too stiff in cold weather. I'm sure the tranny fluid you used is rated for cold temps...and I've not read anything about tranny fluid being an issue with hard shifting.
It is not stiff, I'd have to say it does not want to go into gear. I removed the linkage last week and cleaned & re-lubed it so it can't be that. Once I get past 3rd, 4th and 5th are easier. Once the transmission warms up, no problem!

·
Registered
659 Posts
joevano said:
It is not stiff, I'd have to say it does not want to go into gear. I removed the linkage last week and cleaned & re-lubed it so it can't be that. Once I get past 3rd, 4th and 5th are easier. Once the transmission warms up, no problem!
It sounds like the linkage is slightly out of adjustment; it doesn't take much maladjustment of the linkage to give problems. The fact that it works well when the bike is warmed up seems peculiar, but I'd try a turn one way or the other on the adjustment linkage rod. Unfortunately, finding the correct adjustment is a trial-and-error process PIA.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which linkage, the short one or the long one? Of course it was fine before I lubed it buy I did not change the adjustments so I wouldn't think that might be the issue!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts