BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999LT with 93K on her. I took the battery out for the winter two weeks ago. I decided to put it back in today as it will be 62 degrees F. in Mpls. MN tomorrow.

I put the battery which has been on a tender for two weeks and is fully charged back in the bike. I turned the key and NOTHING!! No lights, neutral lights, no starting basically NOTHING. I put a battery charger on and turned on the boost function and tried the key. Still nothing, no lights, no clicks, No Start. :(

Does anybody have an idea on this. I want to ride tomorrow and it should be an easy fix. The bike was running perfectly when I stored it a couple weeks ago.

Kirk In Minneapolis.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Kirk1111 said:
I have a 1999LT with 93K on her. I took the battery out for the winter two weeks ago. I decided to put it back in today as it will be 62 degrees F. in Mpls. MN tomorrow.

I put the battery which has been on a tender for two weeks and is fully charged back in the bike. I turned the key and NOTHING!! No lights, neutral lights, no starting basically NOTHING. I put a battery charger on and turned on the boost function and tried the key. Still nothing, no lights, no clicks, No Start. :(

Does anybody have an idea on this. I want to ride tomorrow and it should be an easy fix. The bike was running perfectly when I stored it a couple weeks ago.

Kirk In Minneapolis.
Did you accidentally touch to ground.(frame) Only takes a millisecond. Dont ask me how I know.Check the fuses. There are a few under the front seat, just in front of the rear seat.
Check the voltage on the battery, they have cells go dead sometimes for no reason.
Hopefully you can enjoy a great day of riding.

Zeke

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Make sure you hooked up all the red wires to the positive terminal (there are more than just one).

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Verify with a volt meter that your battery is charged. :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bike in Neutral....

Not in Reverse....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All:

Thanks for all the good advice. As it turns out I was installing the battery in a dark garage and missed one of the positive leads OOPs. Moved the bike into the sun light and found the red wire I had missed. It had slumped down and I didn't see it. Live and learn.

I will zip tie all the wires together when I pull the bat.for storage from now on. I have to store 4 motorcycles and sometimes you forget how many wires go on each one.

Thanks for the quick help. BTW I did get out and enjoy a 62 degree F. riding day in Minnesota. We put on about 275 miles and it was great.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I find that a zip strip applied before taking the cables loose is a great prevention device. Zip them all together and trim the end of the strip off.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I find that a zip strip applied before taking the cables loose is a great prevention device. Zip them all together and trim the end of the strip off.
Awesome suggestion! I'm about ready to send her into hibernation mode, since Veterans Day is my day off to do that and other engine maintenance for the winter. I will apply your suggestion.

Thanks again,
Jer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts