BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I changed from a Harley to K1200lt. It has been great! I did put a new battery in about 5 months ago, but have not rode it due to weather for about a month. I think I left something on and ran the battery low the other night. I went to ride and everything went as normal but would not turn over. I have a BMW brand battery charger that plugs into the accessory hole and turned it on for a few minutes. Had to run so instead of waiting about 20 I went ahead and moved the lever to start on the charger and tried to start it. When I did everything ended up going black. The fuses under the seat look ok, but I have little experience with this bike. Any suggestions on reset mechanisms or where a fuse is I might have popped, no lights or anything now........thanks

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
You cannot boost start thru the power socket. It has a 15 amp fuse. Number 7. 3rd one down in the middle box.

dan

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What Dan says, plus you need to put a good charge, 6 to 10 amps on the battery. Not a trickle charge and look for that fuse Dan talks about and replace it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I disagree Dan, an AGM battery that is almost fully discharged needs a much higher charging current to get it up and then maintaining at 2 amps is sufficient. I put a 6 amp charger on for 2 to 3 hours. The charger should be regulated to keep from over charging. An AGM will not recover from a deep discharge at 2 amps.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Very dead battery.

One problem you can have when trying to use the accessory outlet is oxidation. You plug the trickle charger into the outlet but no electricity will conduct.

Plus, the LT's electronics will deplete the battery within 7-10 days?

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DanMartin said:
You cannot boost start thru the power socket. It has a 15 amp fuse. Number 7. 3rd one down in the middle box.

dan
Thanks ,checked the fuse and it was good. I swapped it out to be safe. It seems to be something else. I am putting the battery on the charger tonight.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you know how old the battery is? It might also be worth checking and cleaning the battery connections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rmcclure said:
Do you know how old the battery is? It might also be worth checking and cleaning the battery connections.
Actually I just bought the battery about 5 months ago. I am concerned that it may end up something different. I wonder if the relay could be an issue?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bob's post #7 says 7-10 days for an LT that's sitting. That's been my experience as well. I would notice slower cranking and by day 9 or 10, starting was a pure crapshoot. This was with two different brand new batteries. I use a battery tender almost all the time now, except maybe if I know for sure I will be out tomorrow. Park it, plug it, ride again as soon as you are ready.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
C-A-D said:
The battery is toast. Deep discharged AGM-battery seldom recovers. Never let LT for a long time unused with connectd battery / without proper maintenance charger.

I would agree with your comment on a GEL battery, but my experience has been very good on recovering discharged AGMs as long as they weren't shorted out completely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, I have charged the battery and it recovered. When I went to reconnect it the starter keeps kicking in although no key in ignition and kill switch on?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Todd, it sounds like you have the infamous "welded Starter Relay contacts". The best cure is the newer relay kit, which is not cheap! But in the meantime you can folow the tips on this old thread:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=16475&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

There has been a lot of discussion here on the stuck starter.

I would also reccomend a new battery if you have not already replaced the old one.

HTH,
John
kycruiser66 said:
Interesting, I have charged the battery and it recovered. When I went to reconnect it the starter keeps kicking in although no key in ignition and kill switch on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome!!!!!! That worked like a charm. I have set everything back up and it started right up and ready to ride. I think I will ride to work tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your advice and guiding me through it!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad to hear you solved it. Suggest sure you put a new battery in it and keep the terminals clean / sealed. These bikes can go dead fast if you don't keep them on a tender.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but as I understand it, you put a new battery in recently. All this advice to replace it, IMHO is not necessary. I would recommend getting the battery load tested, then you will know if it needs to be replaced or not. I would be interested to see the results.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,109 Posts
Also plan on replacing that relay. Those contacts are free now but they will stick agan since they have been damaged. Better to be safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts