BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Navigator II Plus for my 2005 K1200LT a month ago. I installed it, and it works great!

But I have a minor problem . . . During a trip last weekend, while tightening the TORX security screw; I dropped the TORX "Security Key" behind the Navigator, down through the gap between the steering column and the top panels . . . and down into the guts of the machine somewhere, and it seems to be well lodged somewhere deep in the guts of the bike, and impossible to see. Barring disassembling a significant part of the bike to find it . . . I am not sure if I will every see it again.

So . . . Does anyone know where I can get another one of these babies, before I tear my new bike apart for countless hours looking for it, can anyone tell me a part number or place to order one on-line?

Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you have an older Compaq laptop and you saved the stuff that came with it, thier torx security key is exactly the same size. I'm sure Garmin will sell you one though. Also, the exact same thing happened to me. I took the tupperware off to retrieve it. I now have a big loop of heavy duty grass trimming line attached so it can't fit down those nooks and crannies.
Bob

·
Registered
520 Posts
I guess depending how far into the guts it went, you could always try using a magnetic retrieval tool with a thin flexible shaft. If you don't have one you could probably make one by super gluing a small strong magnet to the end of a metal clothes hanger then contort it looking for the tool. Otherwise as stated already, your dealer should be able to order you another one.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Using the magnetic retrieval trick works. I dropped a small screw much like you did and was able to retrieve it. Note though that I had all tupperware removed, uppers, lowers, stingray, all of it. Good Luck.

Tom

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
You can get a whole set of torx security bits at Harbor Freight and other tool outlets. Not so secure after all. Just keeps the casual passerby at bay.

John

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The rubber gasket around the steering head wraps completely around the bottom of the under-radio area. If you dropped the torx down there, it's probably still within reach with one of those claw-like flexible grabbers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You guys are all crazy

Just pick the bike up and shake it a bit. Once you get it in the air, move it sideways really fast, It'll fall right through. Sheesh.

What are you, a bunch of pansies? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Replacement Torx

Hello,
The security torx is missing from my 05 LT. I used a No 15 Torx and fits perfectly. You can pick one up at any hardware store, home depot or the like for a couple of bucks. As far as the dropped one, I would forget about it and one day it may appear magically on your garage (assuming you park the bike in a garage) floor.
:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts