BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I dind't want to submit a new tread for this simple question but I couldn't find the answer in owner manual and in the $35 clymer service manual either.

What is the size of the Torx bit for the oil drain screw? It took an hour me to prepare the bike for the first oil change and I found out I don't have the proper size torx bit in the tool bag. I also tried a T-50 from a neighbour and that is too small also. It should be either a T-55 or a T-60 I think but I want to be sure so I don't waste more time or money. By the time I go to Sears and come back the day will be almost over so now I have to postpone the job for another week. Very frustrating.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
It is not torx. It is an allen head bolt. Just remove the filter cover's three bolts and forget about the drain bolt. This is the most simple way to drain the oil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ironbuttwannabe said:
It is not torx. It is an allen head bolt. Just remove the filter cover's three bolts and forget about the drain bolt. This is the most simple way to drain the oil
It is a torx on mine, I'm very sure about it. I use the an allen wrench on my older BMW and I was surprise to see the torx bolt on the LT. Maybe the dealer changed it when they serviced the bike from the previous owner. The T-50 almost fit but it feels kind of loose so I don't force it because I'm afraid I will damage the korx tread.

The draining bolt is much lower than the base where the filter screw in so I don't think you can drain all oil if you don't remove the draining bolt.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Pier1 said:
It is a torx on mine, I'm very sure about it. I use the an allen wrench on my older BMW and I was surprise to see the torx bolt on the LT. Maybe the dealer changed it when they serviced the bike from the previous owner. The T-50 almost fit but it feels kind of loose so I don't force it because I'm afraid I will damage the korx tread.

The draining bolt is much lower than the base where the filter screw in so I don't think you can drain all oil if you don't remove the draining bolt.
I assume you are going to change the filter as well. If you take the three bolts off the cover, slowly unscrew at first to allow controlled drainage and then all of them you will empty the sump.
After the first time, I never remove the plug to change oil & filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PMitchell said:
I assume you are going to change the filter as well. If you take the three bolts off the cover, slowly unscrew at first to allow controlled drainage and then all of them you will empty the sump.
After the first time, I never remove the plug to change oil & filter.
Well, thank you very much for saving my day. I did it the way you told me so now the job is done. The tip about releasing the three screws slowly was a good one too.

Now, since it is the first time I'm changing the oil on the LT I have one more question if you don't mind. The owner manual calls for 3.9 quarters of oil. I poured only 3.5 quarters and I ran the engine for 5 minutes and then let the oil settle. Within 10 minutes the oil was about 3/4 full inside the display level. So my question is: was some old oil still left inside or does the LT only takes 3.5 quarters? I did replace the filter.
Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
On the 05 LT with the bike on the center stand the oil level should be mid way up the site glass. If you're 3/4 you're fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
rab1967 said:
On the 05 LT with the bike on the center stand the oil level should be mid way up the site glass. If you're 3/4 you're fine.


+1 what Bob said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Glad you got it done. I don't know if you did this or not but my old dealer told me to pre-fill the filter before putting it on. And of course hit the seal with a drop and rub it around. I don't remember the reason (maybe someone will chime in) but I've always done it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,622 Posts
Raymarks said:
Glad you got it done. I don't know if you did this or not but my old dealer told me to pre-fill the filter before putting it on. And of course hit the seal with a drop and rub it around. I don't remember the reason (maybe someone will chime in) but I've always done it.
Sound chime. :)

Filling the filter helps oil pressure build faster on the first start after the change. I vehicles where I can do this (LT, Hyundai Sonata, Dodge Grand Caravan) and where I can't (Chevy K1500 with horizontal filter mount and Impala with angled mount). My Chevy truck has 115,000 miles and seems none the worse for wear so I don't really know if this makes any tangible difference, but it is easy to do so I figure why not.

Oling the gasket helps to ensure an accurate and consistent torque when tightening the filter and protect the gasket from scuffing on the contact surface.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
650 Posts
4 qts. of oil puts it at the top of the sight window which is the max. Then run it 6,000 miles without having to add any before the next change. This works on my '08 and it did on my '05 too.
Also, I pull the drain plug as there is some dirty oil that comes out of there even after dropping the filer plate. What do you save by not pulling the drain bolt, 1 min.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
On all 3 LT's I've owned and dozens of oil changes it always takes 3 & 1/2 Quarts to bring the level to the middle of the window.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top