BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luckily I have my LT to ride while I undertake the job or replacing the head/gasket on my PT cruiser. In checking the Chilton manual I have for it, I noticed something odd. The pattern with torque specs is mostly as you would expect for torque to yield bolts. What I am asking about is that they are not listed as all being tightened to the same end torque before adding the addition angle of degrees rotation.

2.0 Liter
Step 1 25 Ft Lb all 10 bolts in the proper pattern
Step 2 1-6 50 Ft Lb and 7-10 35 Ft Lb
Step 3 1-6 50 Ft Lb and 7-10 35 Ft Lb
Step 4, an additional 90 degrees.

I am thinking this is a misprint as I have not seen any docs yet that don't have all the head bolts tightened to the same torque. Has anyone seen this before? I have the 2.4 liter and it is the same for all bolts so it doesn't affect me but wonder what the reason might be for this to have the outer most bolts less tight.

I ordered a Haynes manual to check what that says in contrast and I don't really like the Chilton's

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are some of the bolts a different length ?.
The replacement set on my 2.4 are all the same. Not sure on the 2.0. Before I looked and saw a separate torque page for each, I thought that was the specs for mine and was questioning it. Just not something I have come across.

Would that be the longer bolts may flex more than the shorter altering the final compression of the gasket?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts