BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clymer doesn't specify a torque spec that I can find for the coolant temperature switch. Anyone have that info? My bike is sitting here, dripping fresh coolant, while I wait a week to ten days for the $40 replacement for the one I over-torqued. :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, nevrmind. Autosearch found it in tonygret's spreadsheet!
smahon said:
Clymer doesn't specify a torque spec that I can find for the coolant temperature switch. Anyone have that info? My bike is sitting here, dripping fresh coolant, while I wait a week to ten days for the $40 replacement for the one I over-torqued. :(

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I'd torque it the same as the oil filter cover bolts.............steel into aluminum.......... :)

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
smahon said:
My Clymer says 9 NM..... page 163 near the bottom.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Run to your local Ace hardware and buy some liquid thread sealer compound in the plumbing aisle. It's best described as a greenish colored runny clay. Haven't found any threads yet it won't seal up. That'll give you peace of mind on the install since it got over torqued and might be prone to leakage.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just may have to do that. I put the new sensor in, torqued to 9nm and it is leaking. I had some hi temp teflon tape laying around so I tried that and seems to be sealed well. Anyone think this might throw off the temp reading?
deanwoolsey said:
Run to your local Ace hardware and buy some liquid thread sealer compound in the plumbing aisle. It's best described as a greenish colored runny clay. Haven't found any threads yet it won't seal up. That'll give you peace of mind on the install since it got over torqued and might be prone to leakage.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
smahon said:
Well, I just may have to do that. I put the new sensor in, torqued to 9nm and it is leaking. I had some hi temp teflon tape laying around so I tried that and seems to be sealed well. Anyone think this might throw off the temp reading?
You still used a crush washer with it didn't you? As long as the metal portion of the switch is making contact with the aluminum housing you should be OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts