BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2022 RT when changing windshields is there a suggested torque setting vs just snugging them up maybe with a bit of blue locktight?

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
130 Posts
On a 2022 RT when changing windshields is there a suggested torque setting vs just snugging them up maybe with a bit of blue locktight?
I wouldn't recommend attempting to torque them. It would be unlikely to have a torque wrench accurate at such a low range. I want to say off the top of my head that the correct torque is 2 Nm. I went basically hand tight using a quarter inch drive ratchet, and then just a bit past that using a light grip of my thumb and two fingers on the ratchet. Put a few thousand km since and nothing has came loose.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I looked up the torque values, used them, and the windshield developed radial cracks especially around one particular hole. The seasoned BMW tech told me never to torque them, just snug them up modestly is it, and recheck them occasionally. I remove the screen for cleaning somewhat regularly and it's never loosed up from my modest tightening.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll just snug them up without torquing and thread locker when I install the new one or remove the shield for detailed cleaning.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Here is the torque wrench that will torque the windshield bolts. 1/4" Dr 3 - 15 In Lbs CDI Micro Adjustable Torque Screwdriver - 151SM
In my experience with my camhead over time I had the screws loosen up from normal riding. Metal fatigue will eventually settle in. Even though I properly retorqued them eventually the treads will fatigue and strip out. I installed the EZ Lock inserts. Better than original. If you can't properly torque the screws the next best thing is use the Red locktite and just snug them up carefully. The Red locktite is very strong and unless you plan on frequently removing your windshield this will hold for a very long time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I deal with a LOT of windshield customers....and have heard about more problems with tightening than I care to think about.

#1 NEVER try to torque these fasteners. They are stainless, which tends to mean soft, and the metal they screw into is for sure soft, and very few owners have access to the torque wrench that would accurately torque them. Period. So, using a straight handle tool ( think screwdriver ) gently snug them. Think of a sheetmetal screw into aluminum....and how easy that is to strip....to judge how to snug.

#2 NEVER use loctite or other thread locking compound. Not needed for one thing, and if you use the high strength ( red ) it can get so tight you have to use heat to get them out of steel parts. Think about that when against...a plastic item. There are concerns about the locking compound doing bad things to the plastic, but I don't have any history of that actually happening.

I have never heard of issues with these coming loose. Check them if you want. I have had mine on/off a few hundred times and never had one loosen. Gentle snug....

·
Registered
204 Posts
I deal with a LOT of windshield customers....and have heard about more problems with tightening than I care to think about.

#1 NEVER try to torque these fasteners. They are stainless, which tends to mean soft, and the metal they screw into is for sure soft, and very few owners have access to the torque wrench that would accurately torque them. Period. So, using a straight handle tool ( think screwdriver ) gently snug them. Think of a sheetmetal screw into aluminum....and how easy that is to strip....to judge how to snug.

#2 NEVER use loctite or other thread locking compound. Not needed for one thing, and if you use the high strength ( red ) it can get so tight you have to use heat to get them out of steel parts. Think about that when against...a plastic item. There are concerns about the locking compound doing bad things to the plastic, but I don't have any history of that actually happening.

I have never heard of issues with these coming loose. Check them if you want. I have had mine on/off a few hundred times and never had one loosen. Gentle snug....
Two thumbs up on this advise 😁

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2019 R1250RT and I have a torque wrench that will torque from 0.5 Nm to 6Nm and was very horribly expensive. I torque all my fairing fasteners between 1.7 and 2.0Nm. The windscreen is torqued to 2Nm I believe, and mine have never come loose.
I can’t feel ‘snug’ or ‘just snug’, but 2Nm I can tighten to, with no thread locker.

The morale or the story with the right tools torquing the correct bolts to the specifications provided by the manufacturer, you will sleep peacefully. Buy cheap tools then you’ll have to carry plenty of spare bolts.

peace out ✌🏾

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have a 2019 R1250RT and I have a torque wrench that will torque from 0.5 Nm to 6Nm and was very horribly expensive. I torque all my fairing fasteners between 1.7 and 2.0Nm. The windscreen is torqued to 2Nm I believe, and mine have never come loose.
I can’t feel ‘snug’ or ‘just snug’, but 2Nm I can tighten to, with no thread locker.

The morale or the story with the right tools torquing the correct bolts to the specifications provided by the manufacturer, you will sleep peacefully. Buy cheap tools then you’ll have to carry plenty of spare bolts.

peace out ✌🏾
Spot on. Spoken like a true technician.

• Haha
Reactions: hivee

·
Registered
508 Posts

peace out ✌🏾
If you have a proper torque wrench and know how to use it, that is great and a tip of the hat for those that can say that. BUT....the torque wrench is only part of the torque process. Torque value is just as important as applying the correct torque. And that is where too many get confused and use the wrong conversion chart or set the torque wrench incorrectly ( ft. lbs and NM can be fairly close in number ). The windshield fasteners from 2014 and up are 5mm. An 8.8 fastener in 5mm diameter has a torque value of 7 NM. Over that and something gives, under that and you are not stretching the fastener properly ( which is what keeps it tight ).
For the vast majority, based on experience, I tell customers NOT to try to torque their screen fasteners with a torque wrench. I can tell you that more problems have come from that than simply over tightening by hand.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
I have a 2019 R1250RT and I have a torque wrench that will torque from 0.5 Nm to 6Nm and was very horribly expensive.
Can you provide a picture of your torque wrench?

I checked and mine only goes down to 3nm on the low end so no bono for use on this application.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Spot on. Spoken like a true technician.
Can you provide a picture of your torque wrench?

I checked and mine only goes down to 3nm on the low end so no bono for use on this application.
This is mine.
5nm ? My bad. As I said I cannot feel these low torques, but this bad boy does.

Attachments

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
252 Posts
Aeroflow and a few others warn strongly against the use of thread lockers near their screens. I just tighten with the long end of the wrench in the bolt...snug plus one? Too much is bad. Loc-tite is bad. It not only clouds some of the plastics windows are made from, but makes them brittle and prone to, you know, breaking and stuff.

If you must use a thread locker, let it dry out on the bolt before. Don't let the liquid dry out near the screen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts