BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay gang,

Since I didn't get an answer on the thread itself, I will try to get it here.

Why won't you simply ban all discussions of a religious or political nature on this list? You have banned nudity, because some might be offended, what is the difference? You KNOW that either topic is going to offend too. The idea of slipping it into the Supporting Members Only section obviously doesn't end it and that is not what I am paying a supporting fee for.

If someone wishes to talk about religion there are several lists, both pro and con they can go and chat all they want about it. If someone wants to discuss politics there are untold numbers of lists where their banter is welcomed. The text under "Welcome" on the home page says it all. What does heated discussions of religion or politics have to do with riding a BMW and having fun? I pay to support this list, because I have gained a lot of useful information and made a lot of friends here, but this divisive crap needs to stop, because it sure isn't making friends and it certainly isn't useful information.

Perhaps I am wrong and it's just me, so maybe you could put up a poll (I don't know how to start a poll or I would do it myself)(maybe you could PM me with directions for starting a poll?) asking if they wish to allow or ban these discussions and see which way the majority goes? Then make your decision. Hmmmm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
Great suggestion!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Yep,

Works for me. Because, I come back to read these types of posts, not for informational value, but to see who is slamming who and who won't give up.:D

Kind of soap operaish!
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
Lonewuff said:
Okay gang,

Since I didn't get an answer on the thread itself, I will try to get it here.

Why won't you simply ban all discussions of a religious or political nature on this list? You have banned nudity, because some might be offended, what is the difference? You KNOW that either topic is going to offend too. The idea of slipping it into the Supporting Members Only section obviously doesn't end it and that is not what I am paying a supporting fee for.

If someone wishes to talk about religion there are several lists, both pro and con they can go and chat all they want about it. If someone wants to discuss politics there are untold numbers of lists where their banter is welcomed. The text under "Welcome" on the home page says it all. What does heated discussions of religion or politics have to do with riding a BMW and having fun? I pay to support this list, because I have gained a lot of useful information and made a lot of friends here, but this divisive crap needs to stop, because it sure isn't making friends and it certainly isn't useful information.

Perhaps I am wrong and it's just me, so maybe you could put up a poll (I don't know how to start a poll or I would do it myself)(maybe you could PM me with directions for starting a poll?) asking if they wish to allow or ban these discussions and see which way the majority goes? Then make your decision. Hmmmm?
Nudity is banned because many people read the forum at work. The religion/ politics have been moved to a non-public forum. If you don't want to read those threads (I don't) just pass them by...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I kind of like seeing the diverse background of the large family that is this forum. It kinda lets me know those I have things in common with. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like the guy I disagree with on various topics. I also find that I learn a lot by listening to others opinions and views on various subjects. Granted I could surf the web for specific forums on these subjects but it would not be the opinions of my BMW cohorts and that matters to me. All that said I generally steer clear of commenting on the divisive stuff :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,852 Posts
Just as Ted said. Religion/Politics are banned from public forums. Since some of our members still feel the need to discuss religion/politics these types of discussions have been moved to a forum that is non-public, not accessible to search engines.

This is a service we created for our supporting members since we have always been of the opinion that information should flow as freely as possible, but at the same time did not want to become a battleground in the public for right vs left, gun vs no gun, god vs allah vs Jahwe vs Buddha vs GWB.

This is not to say that the supporting members forum has ONLY these types of discussions, over time (remember this forum was only created a few days ago) there will be many more discussions going on in the supporting members forum, BECAUSE rules are a little bit more relaxed, and things can be discussed there which cannot be discussed in open forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
I agree with the intent of keeping an enthusiast’s site on what brings the enthusiasm!

I'm having problems with the policing of someone’s statements.

How religious is religious? How political is political? Was that sarcasm or a political statement?

As the "Great American ;) “Rodney King once said, "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"

Hate to quote the King, but, it fits.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it is okay to throw battle axes as long as they pay for the privilege?

Poll?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,852 Posts
joegottberg said:
I agree with the intent of keeping an enthusiast’s site on what brings the enthusiasm!
Great!

I'm having problems with the policing of someone’s statements.

How religious is religious? How political is political? Was that sarcasm or a political statement?
If saomeone makes a statement that COULD be interpreted as political it may be interpreted as political.

Here is the dilemma:

a) We disallow ALL political and reiligous discussion, which does not solve the above problem and you may get your thread/post moderated or deleted OR
b) We 'allow' but do not encourage these types of discussion, but you may end up having your thread moved to a non public forum.

Unfortunately the way this has been played lately the option of just leaving them alone is simply not an option because that goes against the initial comments about motorcycling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,852 Posts
Lonewuff said:
So it is okay to throw battle axes as long as they pay for the privilege?
NO, throwing the battle axes will still not be OK. Not even if you pay a lot. Well maybe there are sites, but not here. A political, religious discussion does not necessarily have to end up in throwing battle axes, and if it does it will be ended no matter which forum it is in.

Where are you trying to go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
joegottberg said:
I agree with the intent of keeping an enthusiast’s site on what brings the enthusiasm!

I'm having problems with the policing of someone’s statements.

How religious is religious? How political is political? Was that sarcasm or a political statement?
Good comments and this is leading to dangerous ground IMO. Where do you draw the line - could peoples Avtar, Sig or Username be banned as well?

Regards
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
grahamw said:
Good comments and this is leading to dangerous ground IMO. Where do you draw the line - could peoples Avtar, Sig or Username be banned as well?

Regards
We have asked people to change all of those things in the past when the mods felt they violated site guidelines. We always discuss it first and have never had to ban anyone because of an Avatar or Sig line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I come here to discuss motorcycles and related issues ONLY !, not religon or politics. There are plenty of discussion forums for those subjects.
 

·
BMW Guru
Joined
·
8,469 Posts
larrykay said:
I come here to discuss motorcycles and related issues ONLY !, not religon or politics. There are plenty of discussion forums for those subjects.
That's fine, then don't read the threads in humor, chit chat etc....

There is enough motorcycle content here to keep you busy.

If others want to discuss these topics they can in the proper forum. Yes, there are other sites out there, but it really is more fun to interact on line with people that you KNOW. Unlike most forums, I have actually met many of the people here in person and that makes the online discussions even better, no matter what the topic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
andy said:
NO, throwing the battle axes will still not be OK. Not even if you pay a lot. Well maybe there are sites, but not here. A political, religious discussion does not necessarily have to end up in throwing battle axes, and if it does it will be ended no matter which forum it is in.

Where are you trying to go?
To your first point, just how much worse does it have to get?

To your question "Where are you trying to go?" I am trying to get to a small place which seems to be a great distance from here, you may have heard of it, it's called Civility and people respect rules and each other there.

Now for the third time...POLL?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,852 Posts
Lonewuff said:
To your first point, just how much worse does it have to get?
SO FAR, at least by my standards I have not gotten any complaints from the contestants, and what I have seen is a discussion that has no place in an open forum, but as long as they do it behind closed doors ....

To your question "Where are you trying to go?" I am trying to get to a small place which seems to be a great distance from here, you may have heard of it, it's called Civility and people respect rules and each other there.
Agreed. And I believe YOU will get there at some time in the future. Now about others: Isn't that the same thing as telling them what they should believe?

Now for the third time...POLL?
NO. LOL.

Wait let me rephrase that: You can do a poll about how much ice cream the members think you should eat at the next RTE. LOL.

BTW, since this thread has nothing to do with the help desk any more I moved it to the ChitChat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
Lonewuff said:
To your first point, just how much worse does it have to get?

To your question "Where are you trying to go?" I am trying to get to a small place which seems to be a great distance from here, you may have heard of it, it's called Civility and people respect rules and each other there.

Now for the third time...POLL?
I agree with Jerry,

This site should be about BMW motorcycles, riding, touring, gear and events and the people and friendships of a good motorcycle forum. We have crossed the line to many times. I like the ignore feature, but when someone quotes, I see that.


I am glad that the discussion was hidden from general view; it should have been done sooner. We are copied and pasted to other forums with some of discussions. Good or bad. I hate it when they say the LT folks are talking about ???? again, and paste the link.



As a suggestion, make only the bike forums, Curve Cowboy Reunion and Vendors forums viewable to visitors. Regional forums and other personal forums like In Memoriam, Ride Tales, Photography, Dealers experiences, Surveys, Humor, Chit Chat only viewable by supporters.



I realize that the “For Supporting Member Only” is only a few days old, and hope it improves, but I think we need a folder or forum for the non-bike discussions, then if someone chooses to read and discuss…well be it…any topic they want to have the last word about….seems that what it mostly about.



As it stands now, I could never support this forum again, have all the benefits of the other folders and only miss out on the discussions by a few. My name will not be colored and in bold. Hey that not a bad deal. Unsubscribe me and send my money back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
larrykay said:
I come here to discuss motorcycles and related issues ONLY !
This coming from a man who writes about non-motorcycle topics in one out of every six of his posts.

I suppose that, while you come here for motorcycles and related issues "ONLY," you find yourself participating in other areas that also interest you. Seems fair enough. Might as well let everyone else do that, too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,852 Posts
grahamw said:
Good comments and this is leading to dangerous ground IMO. Where do you draw the line - could peoples Avtar, Sig or Username be banned as well?
Where do we draw the line? Simple. The forum guidelines spell that one out very clearly. " ... Enforcement of the guidelines is at the discretion of the Moderators with oversight by the Administrators. ..."

Now to answer your question directly, *COULD* peoples avatar's signature or username be banned? Sure it *COULD*. Was not needed so far. EVERYTHING that is visible on the monitor when someone opens up the computer is subject to the forum rules. EVERYTHING. Or would you not have us stop usernames (IF someone go and use them) that are pornographic or avatars that are pornographic?

As you see everything is subject to the forum guidelines. So far neither God, nor Allah nor Jesus nor Hillary Clinton nor GWB nor any other of those illustrious figures and and used became member. And if it would happen and he/she is not the real thing we *might* decide that this is cyber squatting and terminate it.

It all comes back to the green statement above.

Oh, and just to make things clear: The discussions about religion/politics/... are *NOT* BANNED. They were just moved from public view into the supporting members forum. In addition there have some other discussions/posts been posted in that forum.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top