BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recalls

I'm getting the bottom half of my topcase replaced under warrenty, thank goodness. The entire topcase was repleace about a year ago, again under warrenty, for similar problems with the latch. I have read about guys with the same issues regarding the topcase here on this forum. The advice the service manager gave me when the entire topcase was replaced the first time seemed somewhat screwey for a bike that's supposed to be the rolls royce of bikes. He told me at the time, " Don't use it very much, and be gentle with it." Ok, the gentle part I can do. I followed the advice of several posts I read here about compressing the lid while opening and closing the topcase and being cautious not to over stuff it. I did that religously for the first replacement topcase. I guess for the second one I am supposed to epoxy it closed and just have it as a great looking back rest ??? I must apologise for my sarcasm, but this is truly frustrating. What kind of junk engineering is this where a major company has a flawed product and their only response is to replace the entire component?? It's almost like saying replace the engine because there is a problem with a rod bearing on the piston # one. Any comments will be appreciated. Please educate me on the corporate management styly of BMW. Why hasn't there been a recall for this issue, or why isn't there an after market someone making parts to repair this faupaux on the BMW k1200LT. Great bike, lousey design on the topcase.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
A couple of months ago, someone was looking into getting a new-and-improved latch made for the topcase. You may want to meander over to the old place and do a little searching. As for why BMW hasn't put out a recall for this. Well...if they haven't put out a recall for the rear-drive issue, chances are even smaller with the latch issue.

My 2 cents...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts