BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how it happened but the plastic support that the top case lid hinge is fastened to, cracked. The other side is fine. Any ideas on what can be done? Tried super glue - lasted one day.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
May have to drill out the rivets and fiberglass the area back into shape then re -drill and re-shoot the rivets. That would be a proper repair.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I feel your pain.

On my '03 LT both sides have cracked/broken (not at the same time) and I've given it the old Farmer fix. Well, not baling wire, but close. LOL

I obtained right angle metal strips about i/2" wide and long enough to fill the underside of the broken hinge, drilled holes where the rivits were and through the back side of the top case. I used small bolts/washers/lock washers and tightened them down. Had no problem since. Probably did it all for less than $10 bucks.

As you can tell I'm cheap and a pro bodyman would do a much nicer job...................BUT, would it last as long as my fix? :bmw:

Good luck with your fix.

Vern

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vernvernvern said:
I feel your pain.

On my '03 LT both sides have cracked/broken (not at the same time) and I've given it the old Farmer fix. Well, not baling wire, but close. LOL

I obtained right angle metal strips about i/2" wide and long enough to fill the underside of the broken hinge, drilled holes where the rivits were and through the back side of the top case. I used small bolts/washers/lock washers and tightened them down. Had no problem since. Probably did it all for less than $10 bucks.

As you can tell I'm cheap and a pro bodyman would do a much nicer job...................BUT, would it last as long as my fix? :bmw:

Good luck with your fix.

Vern
I prefer the word frugal to cheap. Thanks for the plan. I'm on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts