BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Progressive Insurance assembled a list of fun facts about the best places in the United States to ride a motorcycle or scooter. :wow:

The top 10 states to ride a motorcycle:
1. Florida :histerica (Sorry Dave, but I've seen the blog) ;)
2. Georgia
3. Arizona
4. South Carolina
5. Kansas :sleep:
6. Mississippi
7. Oklahoma :lol8:
8. Arkansas
9. North Carolina
10. Iowa :abduct:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ron.... Doood... Whatchu been smokin'?? You making this up?

·
Registered
260 Posts
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/10410/Motorcycle-Article/Progressive-Ranks-Best-States-to-Ride.aspx

I'm sure this weighed heavy on their scale...

The top five states with the lowest likelihood of getting into a motorcycle crash:
1. Hawaii
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Arizona
5. South Carolina

Hawaii.... no kidding. What's the per capita of MC/People?

Arkansas ,the Carolina's and Georgia I might agree with to a degree or curvy country roads and deer the size of dogs... on a GS! More hard pack in AR than asphalt up north!

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
WV - I grew up riding with a 1,000 ft mountain in my back yard. Three miles up and 3 miles down paved, winding road that makes the tail of the dragon tame by comparison. There is now a tunnel through that mountain which means hardly any traffic in either direction.

That was just one of many great places to ride and that was at the bottom of the state. Riding north it just gets better and better...I'm homesick!

I love Florida, but the best think about riding in Florida is when you cross the FL / GA line, heading north...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hallzee said:
Ron.... Doood... Whatchu been smokin'?? You making this up?
Nah man - quit 28 years ago when I found out I could be made to pee in a cup at anytime by the Feds - but whatever Flo is doin' I WANT some! :D

Just goes to show what an incredible disconnect there is between most corporations and their customer base. What kind of pin head would release something like this? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kansas at #5! You have got to be kidding me. Progressive insurance? With their supposed knowledge of motorcycles, would you want this company providing coverage of one of your most cherished possessions. They obviously know nothing about motorcycle roads, makes you wonder what they about motorcycles in general.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Don't underestimate Kansas. If you get off the interstate and poke around you'll see some flat-out amazing scenery. Maybe the roads aren't "the best" for motorcycles (curve-wise), but curvy roads are there AND you'll find scenery that is out of this world. I spent three months in Kansas a few years ago on an IT contract and would love to go back on a bike.

Yes, Kansas. :)

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
hschisler said:
Don't underestimate Kansas. If you get off the interstate and poke around you'll see some flat-out amazing scenery. Maybe the roads aren't "the best" for motorcycles (curve-wise), but curvy roads are there AND you'll find scenery that is out of this world. I spent three months in Kansas a few years ago on an IT contract and would love to go back on a bike.

"poke around you'll see some flat-out amazing scenery." :histerica Now thats a good one. We do have some fun MC riding here in Kansas...... but I have to agree that most of Kansas is "flat out"..

Chris Ogle, Baldwin,Kansas

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There are certainly better states than many of those listed!

What about CO, CA, ME, etc., etc..

I know from experience that CA has some amazing motorcycle riding, just stay away from the big cities, and it is great. Probably more total miles of great mountain roads than just about any other state. CO is great, but overall probably not the total miles CA has. CA also has both beautiful coastal and desert areas to throw into the mix. Great thing is that you can be in all three in one day, as desired.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Unbelievable list!

Tennessee wins my best ride for the buck state. Great roads and beautiful scenery most everywhere.

North Georgia is also good, but not below 34 degrees latitude.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The bottom line: Every rider will have a different Top 10 list, based on their own experiences.

Not to excuse this list by Progressive. But it is obviously based off of a customer poll ... a group of "riders" that don't look for the same things that I look for, when rating a State. And that's not exactly shocking news, is it?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
pretty much makes me want to see the definition of "best" they're using......

·
Registered
256 Posts
I usually ride in the State of Confusion... it didn't make list, I see.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hschisler said:

I did like those Kansas farm girls back in the '70's :yeah: - before they started drinking high fructose corn syrup.

They were real "down home" and some of the friendliest gals a guy could EVER hope to meet. Then came Ronson. :D

I've got to admit my total exposure to Kansas on motorcycles was driving a 1972 Kawi 500 H1B across the state in one day on Interstate 70... Hard to believe but that was actually a decent touring rig for the time - at least I thought so!

I bet it would be kind of fun to visit some of those small towns off the beaten path... but I'm kinda partial to hills and curves these days. Yeah, I'm spoiled rotten.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dshealey said:
There are certainly better states than many of those listed!

What about CO, CA, ME, etc., etc..

I know from experience that CA has some amazing motorcycle riding, just stay away from the big cities, and it is great. Probably more total miles of great mountain roads than just about any other state. CO is great, but overall probably not the total miles CA has. CA also has both beautiful coastal and desert areas to throw into the mix. Great thing is that you can be in all three in one day, as desired.
Could not agree more. :bowdown:

I've ridden the Pacific Coast Highway twice, once all the way into northern BC. I could do it AGAIN tomorrow. Throw in Death Valley and Yosemite, Sonoma and Healdsburg, the redwoods and the Lost Coast.... it just goes on and on. I could ride California (north of Santa Barbara) ;) for months and never get bored.

It is just plain freakin' AWESOME. (but, I wouldn't want to live there) :D

OK, maybe Carmel by the Sea... :dance:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Florida #1??? maybe for boaters and those who desire a straight line under sunshine. I've been here 10 yrs.now and have a list of I-95 on ramps I seek out when I absolutely can't go another inch without something that resembles a lean. I agree with Dano on this. The fun doesn't begin in earnest until I get into northern Georgia on secondary roads. BTW Dano if you would like to introduce me to some of them there roads you cut your teeth on give me a heads up before you pass Saint Augustine. Its so sad to trash a tyre with nothing more than the gloss worn off its shoulder.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Samir said:
Florida #1??? maybe for boaters and those who desire a straight line under sunshine. I've been here 10 yrs.now and have a list of I-95 on ramps I seek out when I absolutely can't go another inch without something that resembles a lean. I agree with Dano on this. The fun doesn't begin in earnest until I get into northern Georgia on secondary roads. BTW Dano if you would like to introduce me to some of them there roads you cut your teeth on give me a heads up before you pass Saint Augustine. Its so sad to trash a tyre with nothing more than the gloss worn off its shoulder.
Simir, living in Florida, we have the opportunity to get double the miles out of a set of tires. Ride the bottoms down here and every now and then, head north to hit the sides! I might miss my annual trip north this year because of other commitments, but if it looks like I'm heading that way, I'll give you a shout. You live in one of the nicest spots on the east coast.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Dano I sometimes need to be reminded. It has been years since I've had to hoist a shovel full of wet snow over my shoulder or break ice off the horses water buckets. Is it wrong to want the 30* latitude to dissect North Carolina. If only Trelleborg made a tire for LT's. I just wish they wouldn't use a chalk line to lay out the infrastructure down here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RonKMiller said:

7. Oklahoma :lol8:
I remember reading an interview (I think it was in American Motorcyclist) with Neil Peart, who has logged well over 100,000 miles all over North America, and he said one of his favorite states to ride in (on a GS) was Oklahoma because of the number of dirt roads. That being said, and after being on a few Oklahoma dirt roads myself, I don't think I'd want to ride around OK on an LT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts