BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the top speed of the K1200LT (theoretically speaking, of course)? ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's been posted before but I don't remember the exact numbers people are getting on their gps.

Somewhere around 130mph.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Actual GPS verified, bonified, and certified...

Pre'05 models topped out at 124. (Not matter how hard I twisted the throttle.) :D
'05 and newer, 131 is the highest reported speed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
messenger13 said:

Pre'05 models topped out at 124. (Not matter how hard I twisted the throttle.) :D
When is the US EVER going to change to the metric system? How fast is 131mph in kph? :D (210kph) yeh right! Nice day, Downhill, following wind with no barn-door screen - maybe! But who cares? :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
birdman said:
When is the US EVER going to change to the metric system? --------
I wish! We had a great start in the 1970's, and the metrication board was established in 1975. It was being taught in schools, products were being labeled with dual volume/weight numbers, factories started converting.

For some unexplainable reason the Metrication Board was dissestablished in 1982. That was one of the dumbest things the US has ever let happen. Now the US is the ONLY nation of any size still stuck with the antiquated and irrational system of measurments we still use. Nothing in it is related to anything else, the inch has nothing to do with volume measurements such as the gallon, fractional measurments are mathmatically the most difficult thing to work with, and converting these to decimal numbers to make it more fathomable only makes it slightly better.

Even Britian, which started this mess in the first place, was smart enough to abandon it for the Metric system.

I work with both systems regularly, and design machinery sometimes using the inch system, others in metric. Metric is FAR easier to work with.

OK David, step away from the soapbox, slowly. :D :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
4 short of 131

I did 127 mph on my way to Great Falls, MT from Lakeville, MN 1005 miles in 16hrs 40 min.

I should add that I was fully loaded with gear for 2 people - Kaye was not a passanger on the trip out - she flew (plane).

Dave

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
Hmmmmm

messenger13 said:

I must have a bad GPS ,my '00 has seen 127 ( empty bags,< 1/2 tank, 220# rider,maybe slight downhill grade, short winshield, no top case) and 123-- 2 up, empty bags,115# pillion (of course, the extra energy eminating from the angry passenger probably helped with the higher forward "escape" velocity)

·
Registered
499 Posts
messenger13 said:
I did that in 4th gear on the GT. :D
Not surprising given it has twice the hp/wt ratio. I wonder what a GT could do uncapped. 200mph might be within reach with a few tweaks and depending how "slippery" she really is.

Dave

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
early1 said:
maybe slight downhill grade
That's worth a couple mph right there, but then again is cheating some. Also, when running those speeds for extended periods, gas mileage drops to ~25 mpg. Good thing there are regular filling station on the Autobahn. :D

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
dronning said:
200mph might be within reach with a few tweaks and depending how "slippery" she really is.
Don't encourage him. :) Then again, why not? Could be fun to watch. :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I think BMW has the GT capped at about 155mph. I've been to 149, and she was still pulling very strong...I just ran out of room. We'll see. 140 is child's play on the GT, like so many other liter bikes. But something magical begins to happen at 140. It's kinda the line that separates fast from really fast. Really REALLY fast begins at 170. I can't imagine what 200 feels like. Hopefully someday, I won't have to. Yes, on the Salt Flats. :)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Use the factory speedo and you can increase your speed by about 10% It functions like a ram jet!

"We make precession motorcycles, not precession measurement devices."

Bob : - )

·
Registered
308 Posts
05' - 130.3 mph by Garmin, flat road no wind at sea level. Ran out of room but she was still pullin, I believe 135 is possible another place and time. -Chuck-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts