BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I opened my top case and the strap disconnected from the case and wound itself up inside the spring casing. How do I get it out? Any ideas as to what let go? It looks to me like the screw retainer simply backed out but I won't know until I can retrieve the end of the nylon strap.

Cheers...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If you look inside the bottom half of the box,
on the left side there's a thumb screw that holds the end of the strap in place,
possibly it backed out and the strap "escaped"
If you can "see" the end of it you might be able to pull it outta there with some kinda hook,
if you can't, replace it they're somewhere around 25-30 dollars

·
Registered
714 Posts
On mine the rivet came out of the strap a couple days after I got the bike. If the strap has wound up inside the case then you'll likely have to buy a new part because the spring won't have enough tension to recoil the strap enough anymore.

If you replace the part you need to be careful because there is a steel backing plate inside the top case that the rivets go through. If you remove both rivets the plate will move and you won't be able to get to it. You'll need to drill out one rivet and rotate the broken part out of the way. Rivet the new part into place. Then drill out the other old rivet and remove the old part. Then simply rotate the new part into place and install the second rivet.

The part number is 52537658690 and costs $21 ($16.80 from Chicago BMW).

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice; thanks Kevin.

You saved me a ton of grief. I would have never known about the metal backing plate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just used a set of surgical hemostats (like tiny needle nose pliers) to reach in and grab the strap. You don't have to worry about "unwinding" the spring, because you rewind it when you pull the strap out.

To replace the rivet on the strap, I just used a #8 stainless machine screw with nylon locknut and two stainless fender washers. This almost works better than the rivet, because now the strap can't rewind inside the spool.

If you can do this, it's a whole lot easier than drilling rivets and buying BMW parts. If the strap broke, you are gonna need a drill.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
WildernessJeep said:
I just used a set of surgical hemostats (like tiny needle nose pliers) to reach in and grab the strap. You don't have to worry about "unwinding" the spring, because you rewind it when you pull the strap out.

To replace the rivet on the strap, I just used a #8 stainless machine screw with nylon locknut and two stainless fender washers. This almost works better than the rivet, because now the strap can't rewind inside the spool.

If you can do this, it's a whole lot easier than drilling rivets and buying BMW parts. If the strap broke, you are gonna need a drill.
Hey Robert, it seems that you made it OK to Houston!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, check my thread above titled Nine times. The weather was so nice, I didn't need to go as far south as LA, and didn't have any particular need to sit in traffic. Next time you are in Houston, give me a ring, you always have a place to stay and a free shop (pretty well equipped too).

R

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ok, how many times did you really drop it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts