BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install an extra 12 volt outlet in the top case. Found this plug behind the document stowage compartment. Checked plug .........no voltage. Can anybody tell me anything about this plug? Thanks.........Jon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
If I recall that is for the center brake light on top of the top case....Top...top..top... Just wanted to say top again. Put a meter to it and put the brake on.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
shoswell said:
If I recall that is for the center brake light on top of the top case....Top...top..top... Just wanted to say top again. Put a meter to it and put the brake on.
Yup! Hoss got it right. That is the plug for the LED bar brake light that goes on the back of the trunk rack. On the earlier LT's that did not come with the rack you can still use it for that same purpose on an after-market brake light if your rack has one.

John

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I put a 12V outlet in mine, by taking a pair of cables off the back of the existing 12V outlet on the front of the top box and leading them through inside the box. One advantage of this is that that outlet is switched (i.e. only powered up when the ignition is turned on), so anything connected to it can safely be left connected without any wories about flattening the battery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Woolly, I'm planning to add an outlet to my top case and had decided to run the wires as you describe. What kind of receptacle did you use? I haven't decided whether to surface mount the outlet someplace, or just leave it loose at the end of the wires so I can move it around to accomodate the junk that seems to wind up in my top case. ;) Also don't want to complicate removal of the top case lining when necessary.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I just used a cigarette lighter socket on the end of a lead . .

Then, if I'm using more chargers etc., I can plug in a 4-way adaptor or even a USB charger/adapter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Woolly said:
I just used a cigarette lighter socket on the end of a lead . .

Then, if I'm using more chargers etc., I can plug in a 4-way adaptor or even a USB charger/adapter.
Well done Whooly! 1+ on the power outlet, and it won't flatten the battery. Dude...Sweet

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am about to do the same thing.

The topcase power outlet has two wires: brown and green/purple.

Which one is live, i.e. positive, or does it matter ?.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
simoncharles said:
I am about to do the same thing.

The topcase power outlet has two wires: brown and green/purple.

Which one is live, i.e. positive, or does it matter ?.
My experience so far has showed that BMW uses the BROWN wire for negative (ground) and yes, it does matter....

·
Registered
426 Posts
I did the same thing a while back. Just used a standard cigarette lighter extension type plug from Radio Shack, think it cost $6. Wired it to the accessory plug on the top box and routed it into the box via an X slice in the liner on the box. Left the wire long and put joints in the wires between the liner and actual box. This way you can easily remove the liner and just unplug the charger without having to go in to the accessory port area.

Check your bike though! The accessory port on my top box stays hot with the bike off, it only looses power when the key is turned to the locked position. As far as I can tell, it has not been altered, its just the way it is. So if I have something hooked to it, I am mindful as to how long I am going to be away from the bike and whether I want it to conintue to charge or not. If not, just lock the ignition.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well Brian, you got me curious, so I just stepped out to the garage and swapped my BT from the front to the rear power port, and found what I was led to believe all along. Namely that the rear port was only live while I had ignition turned on, or in the "accesory" position. If I go to "Off", where I can still turn the handlebars, it is dead! Same as "Lock". So, perhaps BMW changed things later in the LT line, but I can assure you that a '99-'01 (early '01's at least) will not be live without power on.

John
Sit said:
-Snip-
Check your bike though! The accessory port on my top box stays hot with the bike off, it only looses power when the key is turned to the locked position. As far as I can tell, it has not been altered, its just the way it is. So if I have something hooked to it, I am mindful as to how long I am going to be away from the bike and whether I want it to conintue to charge or not. If not, just lock the ignition.

·
Registered
426 Posts
And I double checked my plugs today John before taking her for a spin. Key in full lock position, no power to rear port. Turn key to next position, freeing the front wheel and I gots all kinda power to the rear port. HMMM another one of those mysteries I guess. Always wondered though why sometimes the ipod in my top box would keep playing while I was away from the bike and other times I would have to restart it. Must be the locking the wheel part that kills it and requires restarting the ipod.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Sit said:
And I double checked my plugs today John before taking her for a spin. Key in full lock position, no power to rear port. Turn key to next position, freeing the front wheel and I gots all kinda power to the rear port. HMMM another one of those mysteries I guess. Always wondered though why sometimes the ipod in my top box would keep playing while I was away from the bike and other times I would have to restart it. Must be the locking the wheel part that kills it and requires restarting the ipod.
Right on Brian!
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts