BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a spiffy suggestion for adjusting how far the top case opens? My wife is vertically challenged and she can't see in the vanity mirror. So guess who has to stand there and hold the lid "just so" so she can use the mirror :mad:
Oh i guess it isn't all THAT bad, but jeez, come on!
I think all you guys know just how "important" this issue is. Come on guys... My a$$ is on the line here! :(

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
After installing a particular brand of armrests, one has to adjust the amount of "open" available to the top case lid to prevent it from opening too far. This simple fix may help your wife. . .

Simply shorten the nylon strap connecting the lid and base. I did it by looping it back the appropriate amount and pitting a screw through it and securing said screw with a nut.

HTH

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Shorten the straps? Tie knots in them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tell her there are two "vertically challenged accessible" mirrors mounted on the front of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Jinks said:
Tell her there are two "vertically challenged accessible" mirrors mounted on the front of the motorcycle.
Ha, that's funny, but I'd be sleeping in the top case after that.

Tony's procedure will work, but if you do want to completely open the top case some time you're stuck with a shortened tether or the process or removing the nut from the screw and the screw from the tether, and then remembering to replace everything. Another possible solution along the same line would be to pull the tether as far as it can go out of the winder, hold it in its fully extended position, move the top box lid to the right angle for your wife, and mark the point where the excess tether loop would contact the inside top surface of the body of the box. Put velcro on the loop and box at that point, and you can pull the loop free when you want to fully open the lid.

However, I'm sure that if we put our heads together we can come up with a farkle along the lines of an electronically remote controlled gas strut that is completely adjustable throughout the range of it's extension that would start opening the lid for you at the push of a button while you were putting the bike on it's hydraulic center stand (or were walking to the bike from a store) and would hold the lid at any angle. But that mirror in the top box is so small and the light is so dim. How about an extendable, adjustable 2-sided 8" circular vanity mirror with LEDs around the edge that folds down into a protective, felt lined holder on the side of the case for protection? Hmmm, how about an electronically remoted controlled 8" circular vanity mirror . . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Overkill?

Well the practical side of me says "try doing the idea in the first paragraph", but the caring, wife loving side of me says... "try doing the idea in the first paragraph".
Not that i don't like your ideas Bill, it's just... well...
I'm just going to keep the ideas in the second paragraph away from the Little Woman. I'm sure she would be all for that - me? not so much. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or better yet...

Maybe get her to wear stilettos!

nooooo.... i guess not. :(

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
How 'bout a small hand held vanity mirror you carry in the topbox just for her?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmmm...

Larry your logic is spot on.
But seems to lack the "shock and awe" we were hoping for from our LT :p
I mean a power center stand and a hand-held mirror - she'll never go for it.
:histerica

·
Registered
805 Posts
nobunaga said:
Well the practical side of me says "try doing the idea in the first paragraph", but the caring, wife loving side of me says... "try doing the idea in the first paragraph".
Not that i don't like your ideas Bill, it's just... well... :p
Yeah I get that alot. Sorry for going over the top (heh). Let's forget about doing anything to the bike and focus on the ergonomics of the situation. You dislike holding the lid of the top case "just so," but she cannot see herself in the mirror unless you do. A step stool or (very high) stilletto heals might work, but lack a certain dynamic that exists when you hold the lid for your wife. You are being a gentleman, you are displaying your caring, wife loving side, it is a public display, and it makes possible a very important female ritual. The solution: do the same, but more so. Let the lid fall all the way open, pull down the little mirror, then get on your hands and knees behind the bike and have your wife stand on your back. It's so perfect I'm all over goosebumps.
Oh, yeah, don't forget to have someone take pictures so you can post them here!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
nobunaga said:
Does anyone have a spiffy suggestion for adjusting how far the top case opens? My wife is vertically challenged and she can't see in the vanity mirror. So guess who has to stand there and hold the lid "just so" so she can use the mirror :mad:
Oh i guess it isn't all THAT bad, but jeez, come on!
I think all you guys know just how "important" this issue is. Come on guys... My a$$ is on the line here! :(
Break the mirror, happens real easy when you try to stuff the document box.
Rock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts