BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have their top case latch handle metal break? The latch continues to operate normally. How difficult is it to replace the handle?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Common failure. There is a guy that makes a "fix it after it breaks" and a "fix it before it breaks" kits. See here . There is no part available from BMW just the bottom half of the top case.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Anyone have their top case latch handle metal break? The latch continues to operate normally. How difficult is it to replace the handle?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Unfortunately, the only replacement from BMW is buying the entire case.

Here is a link to someone who actually made billet aluminum latch replacements. If he still has any, you can get one from him. I will be checking myself as my latch is broken just like yours.

BMW K1200LT Trunk Latch Handle Kit K 1200 LT

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Common failure. There is a guy that makes a "fix it after it breaks" and a "fix it before it breaks" kits. See here .
Ouch, looks like I get to purchase the more expensive "fix it after it breaks" kit. Anyone have experience installing the kit? Was it a straightforward installation?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Ouch, looks like I get to purchase the more expensive "fix it after it breaks" kit. Anyone have experience installing the kit? Was it a straightforward installation?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Had to replace to mine. It's better than the original equipment. Instructions are included. I remember there was an issue with the instructions, at least for me and I can't remember what specifically but I was able to figure it out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Another option is to buy a used case that already has the aftermarket latch. My top case went to pieces in a few ways. The latch went first but I was able to repair it with epoxy and metal body lath, that continued to stay working fine for years through the additional failures. Then the little plastic knob screw that holds the strap broke. Then the mirror broke off. And finally the left hinge broke completely away pulling a chunk of case with it. Others have repaired this with epoxy too.

But I found a complete case on ebay that had the aftermarket latch with key, a top rack, included the speakers and pad, everything inside was completely intact for $260 shipped. Color doesn't match but I really don't care, I won't but it could be painted.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
I felt the "Ouch" factor but for spending $150 for a latch that wasn't even broken. And you get to shell out more for the fix it after it breaks kit. What I can say is it is a very well designed and CNC machined kit that works perfectly. Bring More Wallet!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I purchased the "Fix it before it Breaks" Money well spent on either option. This guy makes quality products. You might hurry as he has limited supply.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have only had my 2000 LT since September. It is fairly low mileage but as a money saving preventative measure I just today ordered the "fix it before it breaks" kit. Extensive explanation and instructions on the website. Look like a great idea.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I have only had my 2000 LT since September. It is fairly low mileage but as a money saving preventative measure I just today ordered the "fix it before it breaks" kit. Extensive explanation and instructions on the website. Look like a great idea.
You should be happy with it. I found that the easiest way to install it was to take the top case off so I didn't have to try to work on it at an odd, upside down angle. I assume the Fix-It-After-It-Breaks (your bank), is to also work on it off the bike. :bmw:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I found that the easiest way to install it was to take the top case off so I didn't have to try to work on it at an odd, upside down angle.
As easy as it is to remove the top case I intend to do it on a padded work bench. I don't bend so easy anymore.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't mind (as much) spending money for a quality product and you all have vouched for the product's quality. Thanks for the tips on installation.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2003 K1200LT with 23,000 miles. It's pristine except for the busted latch. The bike hasn't even been delivered yet.

The dealer threw in the bottom half of a "take-off" top case (Titan Silver) with an intact latch so I could swap it. I have ordered a billet replacement latch instead so the extra case is now for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
544 Posts
how much?

·
Registered
408 Posts

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
I've still got the original handle off my '06 LT if you just want the handle. I proactively replaced it with the billet version.
Jim

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the exception of the broken latch handle, everything else is working. I'll be happy to accept your latch handle. A private message was sent.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
787 Posts
I put on the fix it before it breaks kit 6 years ago and it works flawless. If the wife can't break it the way she slams the handle down then it has been "tough tested". For those who have not fixed the latch, you better be very gentle when closing or get the fix it kit because it will probably break sooner or later.
Good Luck

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RealWing generously sent me the old latch from his LT. I have the top case off, but I'm scratching my head as to how to remove my broken latch and replace it. I didn't see a reference to the latching mechanism in my Clymers manual. Anyone have pictures or a thread on replacing the latch?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never mind guys. I found instructions on the lttrunklatch.com (Fix It Before It Breaks) site. For the procrastinators, it is somewhat of a bear to tear the entire latch apart to repair after it breaks. Spend your hard earned money now and purchase the much less expensive and less time consuming Fix It Before It Breaks kit. I wish I did as I spent a Sunday afternoon repairing the latch.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts