BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team, on my 2009 K1200lt, I would like to move the top case back.

BUT I am afraid that it was already done. When looking at the top case it protrudes about an inch or two past the tail light section.

I would imagine that the PO did not do this because he only put 3K miles on her in two years.

How far does your rear end, err... Top case stick out and it is in the forward or rear position?

Thanks as always in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
137 Posts
Paul,
Your trunk has been moved to the rear most position.
In the forward position the back of the trumk would be flush with the bags and tail light.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
+1 - if there is any over hang its in the furthest OEM position. Funny as my SO is 4'11 and she complains that that position is too cramped? I stumbled on an aftermarket solution to her woes...

And it includes a place to use pad locks to secure the helmets...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoss,

As I was looking at your pictures it seems that yours are much further back than mine.

You mentioned an aftermaket option, does that option allow your top case to move further back than the built in placement?

If so where is this afterkarket option available?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Hopefully some of the old tymers will chime in... I found them on a lark and to be honest, have no clue who I got them from. Online/ebay/craigslist etc...

Its a simple concept. 1/2" aluminum stock, with a piece drilled and tapped to allow for the lock holes at the rear.

The bracket itself is bolted to the rear most mount holes on the bike. then the top case is bolted to the bracket. Slim headed bolts are used, and there are spacers (thick washer) used inside the top case. Besides the wifes need to "spread out", I gain a boat load (considering) of storage behind the pillion seat. I keep my air pump, tire plugs, and tool bag in the void...

If you or anyone else wants detail info, I can pull the case off and snap photos and take measurements...

There is also another mod in the archives. Its simple as well. Flat stock steel used to move two of the stock mounts back. I think you gain another 2".

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi, originally is that movement about one inch only. In front position it close off with brake light cover. If you need more space you have to build something like recommended before.

Manfred

·
Registered
244 Posts
Guys,
The nice aluminum brackets that are in the photo's are from a guy named Gary.. I also have a set and the wife loves the setback.. and I like the space for my cover and more between the top pack and seat !!! All I have is his email.. [email protected]. As I remember the set with mounting screws and spacers was about $60.. He used to have other accessories too.. wind deflectors for your feet as well. He was from the St Louis MO area..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts