BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
If there's not one in classifieds, I got mine at Beemer Boneyard. Sometimes you can find one on EBay.

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a LT rack that I bought about six months ago and replaced with a Corbin smuggler trunk. I paid $150.00 plus shipping for it and it still looks new. Also if you later got a new trunk you can just bolt it to the rack when you wanted to use it and take it off when you don't. :wave:

Thanks
Randell

AKA Bru2000Lt

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone have a used rack for sale know the best place to buy one.
No Rack, but how badly is the case broken?
Bottom of mine shattered after hitting the worlds largest pothole:surprise: but I was able to weld it back together with little effort and a few hours in the shop.
Might be an option that lets you sell the case for the price of a new rack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the advice. My top case is broken. The left bottom hinge is intact but pulled out of the bottom plastic where it "seats" after hitting a large bump in the road and I am not sure if it would be repairable.

Thanks again,
Rob

·
Registered
204 Posts
On mine the plastic all around the lower right hinge broke off, that was combined with a broken but epoxied still functioning latch, inside mirror and storage case broke off, and plastic knob broken off by the strap. I got one on ebay with the aftermarket latch and everything else intact for $260 delivered. Color doesn't match but I can live with it, easy enough to paint if I had the desire.

I do have a rack that will be sold but not ready to until I sell the bike in the spring.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. My top case is broken. The left bottom hinge is intact but pulled out of the bottom plastic where it "seats" after hitting a large bump in the road and I am not sure if it would be repairable.

Thanks again,
Rob
Hi Rob.. It is repairable, had to do it on mine.
Took a lot of photo's while doing it. Used a combination of an ABS plastic repair kit, some fibreglass matt, and JB Weld for added strength of the finished repair.
Pics here.

Simply a matter of removing the top case, drill out the broken hinge rivets to separate it, then repair the ABS plastic section with the kit and fibreglass. Someone before has mentioned they used fibreglass fly-wire as support material, I had old surfboard repair kit so used matt and threads. I then added a stack of JB Weld to help support both the hinges, then riveted the hinge back in place reinstalled and painted it. A bit fiddly but just take your time and be patient with it, let the ABS repair build up and harden properly before trying to reinstall. I did it over a couple of weekends and nights, just a bit at a time. Held firm for the last couple of years. :)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Anyone have a used rack for sale know the best place to buy one.
I have a Ft Worth Rack with tiedown points at the 4 corners plus the optional back-piece.

Email me at (my-handle-on-this-site) @ a0l [d0t] c0m for fastest respnse. I can email pics.

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts