BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi greetings from the Uk
I’ve got the large BMW top box on my 2006 RT, and I am finding in increasing difficult to open the lid, not sure which is going to break first my thumb or the lock button. Poured gallons of lubrication in and around the lock and slide mechanism. The push button action is ok with the lid open but once closed !!!!!!!
Has any body tried separating the inner case from the outer to see what’s going on in there?
Would appreciate any help or advice.

Regards B

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have you tried pushing the latch (that would normally pop out and you pull a little more to fully unlatch the lid) whilst pushing the lock in? You need to do it in this order.
1. pressure on latch (Push it in)
2. Press the lock and then release the latch.

I have to do the same with my panniers, one slightly more than tother.
hth
\v/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi
Don't do it!!!
I had problems with my last bike and on a trip the box wouldn't close so had to dismantle. It was a very difficult job with lots of loose parts that required many hands to get back together.
I found that one of the mechanisms had come adrift of an attachment plate that in turn had glue in the way.
Fixed it but still had problems with the lock.
I used very good quality lube (not the synthetic liquid type) and it helped.
Got a new one now and it's really easy to use.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Might be a job to do at home rather than at failure on the road. I have read threads about doing the side boxes and there are tricks. I suggest you take a look around on the web for advice and go for it while you are at home with all your resources available. It would be nasty to have it lock up or fail to close on the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
Thanks for the feedback. I cleaned and painted the top latch (fingers) with white paint (correction fluid Tippex) in an effort to identify any areas coming into contact with the retaining mechanism when in the closed poison. This didn’t show any hard rub or high contact arrears, made two very slight adjustments for peace of mind.
My other theory whenever I leave the bike in the garage I always leave the box lid loose I.e. down but not engaged in the latch and this is allowing the base to distort in relation to the lid. The base has gone slightly wide either side?? I now keep it locked all the time.
Regards B

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
There was a recall on that a couple of years ago, not sure what years it covered but it was for the top box on R12RT. I'm having the same trouble with one of my side boxes.

JayJay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi just a quick update on my top box lock function.

In short what I said about the base being out of shape was a load of old Tosh
Hall 1964 you were right on the money ! I couldn’t get my could my head round what you were telling me.
But by pushing the 4 x 2 flap in when pushing the lock button the opening action is a million times better problem cured.

Foot note tried several bikes at the dealers and they all opened smoothly without having to do what I have to do. But I can live with mine now
Thanks to all
Regard B :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts