BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time, a few years now, both of my LT's 2002 and 2005, has always been difficult to latch the top box.

The way I do this currently, I press on the top box, then close the latch.

Anyone else have this problem?

The rollers move freely on the upper portion of the top box.

I have heard of people breaking them and being extremely expensive to replace/fix.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
With the lid open, close the latch and watch the clips. On most LTs one clip will pull down tighter than the other. This stress is what causes the breakage. If one of your clips pulls tighter, you have a few options. You can remove the corresponding catch on the lid. You can file the clip so it doesn't pull down so far. I've also heard (might have seen a picture in a thread - CRS) that you can remove the catch and replace the metal with a thick zip tie. This would hold the lid down and the zip tie would flex so as not to break the latch. HTH.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent some time investigation the latch and catch.

The left side is the culprit.

I ended up removing the left pin and replacing it with a plastic one. Huge improvement.

Thanks for the help.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My trunk seems to latch okay, but I really have no reference for what is easy and what is hard. I did spray some liquid graphite on a qtip and "painted" some on all the moving parts of the bags and that help.

As for your plastic pin and photos, yes please. What was wrong with the pin?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sit
you will know if it is hard to close, my new replacement latch closes with just my thumb pressure. Before my old one broke I had to lean on the top box to close the latch, then I heard a grating tearing sound and that was my latch breaking the top corner off :( I bought a new one from a member off this site

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was nothing wrong with the pin. When closing the lid, I had to put a lot of pressure on the lid when closing or opening the latch. The latch and pin offset is different between the left and right sides. When closing or opening the top box, it would make a grinding noise. By using a plastic pin, there is some flibility.

Will try to get some pics this evening.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are pictures of the pin.

Exactly 1" in length. It fits perfectly. I placed some black caps at the end to hold rod in place. I must say, I think it looks better than the stock pin.

All purchased it at Ace Hardware.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts