BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem so here it goes. I've got a 2007 LT. A guy pulled up next to me the other day and told me that he thought my top trunk was loose. I stopped the bike noticed that my top box was in fact moving a bit more than usual. When I got home I took the bottom liner out and saw that there was almost no adhesive holding the 2 support braces to the box, the larger 2 at the rear of the box. There was a substantial amount of the stuff that had been pushed out towards the front of the box but from at least where the bolt holes are to the back of the box there was nothing so the box was shaking all the time and now has a crack starting right across the back between the 2 bolt holes. I've called BMW to ask what the box is made of so I could find the correct adhesive to remove and reafix the supports but the customer support had no idea. I called the dealer and was told that they didn't do body work so they had no idea. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what type of adhesive or bonding agent can be used?

thanks for any help,

Joe

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
I have used ABS pipe adhesive with great success on the inside of the panniers - should be the same. I have never seen what you are describing. Photos maybe?

This is the best stock shot I had of the bottom of the top case. Is this the area you have an issue with? There are 4 glued in reinforcements but they should not come loose unless the bolts are not tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used ABS pipe adhesive with great success on the inside of the panniers - should be the same. I have never seen what you are describing. Photos maybe?

This is the best stock shot I had of the bottom of the top case. Is this the area you have an issue with? There are 4 glued in reinforcements but they should not come loose unless the bolts are not tight.
Hi John,

That is exactly what I am talking about. If you notice there is adhesive that has been pushed out of the entire area of the support flange. Here is what mine look like. Notice the adhesive is only at the one end of the flange. It sure looks like a factory defect to me, but I doubt that BMW is going to do anything about it at this time since it's out of warranty. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Hi John,

That is exactly what I am talking about. If you notice there is adhesive that has been pushed out of the entire area of the support flange. Here is what mine look like. Notice the adhesive is only at the one end of the flange. It sure looks like a factory defect to me, but I doubt that BMW is going to do anything about it at this time since it's out of warranty. I'll give them a call and see what they say.
It does look like the adhesive they used is a little scant on the back side. Does your case have the luggage rack and have you been loading that up? I would think it would take a fair amount of weight to cause that to flex enough to separate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes I do have the luggage rack, but in most cases the only thing in the box is my helmet. I don't think I've had any "luggage" in the trunk more than a couple times. With nothing in it there is still a substantial amount of weight when you put the top down. Between the luggage rack and the speakers the top is very heavy. Every time you hit a bump or go over a dip the trunk will bounce because all the weight ends up at the very back of the trunk which has no support. I've seen several other photos and they all look like yours with the adhesive covering the entire flange area and pushed out from all the edges. I'm going to put in a warranty claim and see what they say. It's obviously a defect created at the factory when the trunk was built. I had no way of knowing there was no adhesive holding the flanges to the floor until it became so loose that I could see it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
John Zeilers idea of using ABS glue is probably a good solution. What about some kind of ABS plastic adhesive thats thicker in consistency. Like the factory used.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
If you look again at my picture you will see one that is glued well and the other one is shy of glue in the same area as yours are guess I better get after mine before it cracks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you look again at my picture you will see one that is glued well and the other one is shy of glue in the same area as yours are guess I better get after mine before it cracks.
Same thing happened to mine - unfortunately didn't catch it until the one of the bolts holding the case to the bike pulled through the plastic.

Fixed it by crafting a piece of sheet metal of approximately the same size and gluing it down (two part epoxy). Holds fine for now - I have a "new to me" top case to replace it when the time comes (after painting) as the latch is also broken... :cussing:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I used a tube of liquid nails to put back the tool bag bit that fell off, that was years ago its still stuck on ok. works ok on broken mirrors as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts