BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out:

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1728/americas-worst-speed-traps/

Hers is a taste:

10. Los Angeles, California
Speed traps: 151

Los Angeles is a great example of speed limits not matching at all what traffic patterns indicate is a safe speed—which is how they're supposed to be determined.

Most of the speed traps are on the boulevards in the valley, my L.A.-based colleague Jane Wells, who writes the Funny Business blog, says. "The speed limit is 35 but if you actually drove that, you'd get mowed down!" Wells says.

Fines and surcharges for speeding or failing to have proof of insurance can approach $1,400, the NMA reports. And good luck fighting a ticket in L.A. It's always been tough, but with the city teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, motorists don't have a chance.

"If you walk into a courtroom, because of the massive deficits at every level, they can't let a breathing person walk out without taking their money!" Dornsife said.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Most of the speed traps are on the boulevards in the valley, my L.A.-based colleague Jane Wells, who writes the Funny Business blog, says. "The speed limit is 35 but if you actually drove that, you'd get mowed down!" Wells says

Tony, Consider yourself lucky that your fellow motorist still travel at a reasonable speed. There are so many speed traps up here in Western Wa that all the sheep up here actually drive slower than the posted limit. Passing lane included. I think they should layoff the entire state patrol or at least call them by a more proper name. Like blood sucking tax collectors....

·
Registered
102 Posts
What's amusing is Houston is numero uno on this list.

I used to live in Houston before moving to Austin then San Antonio and now north Dallas. Unless police enforcement has increased exponentially, you used have to try to get a ticket. Everyone drove 10-20 over the set limit on the freeways. Get a radar detector, stay in the pack, don't stand out, and don't speed on the side streets.

Austin at number 2 is another matter. But the highways and especially all the great roads for riding motorcycles on a Sunday like RR 2222 and RR2244 are now clogged thoroughfares with two many rich Yuppies driving BMWs and Audis (cars) and way too many crotch rockets ridden by idiots in T-shirts and tennis shoes way too fast.

Dallas is number 8 and my experience is it is like Houston. Get a radar detector, try to stay close to the pack, don't stand out or get way ahead of the pack, and don't haul ass on side streets to avoid getting a "certificate of driving performance" :bmw:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
westcott360 said:
What's amusing is Houston is numero uno on this list.

I used to live in Houston before moving to Austin then San Antonio and now north Dallas. Unless police enforcement has increased exponentially, you used have to try to get a ticket. Everyone drove 10-20 over the set limit on the freeways. Get a radar detector, stay in the pack, don't stand out, and don't speed on the side streets.

Austin at number 2 is another matter. But the highways and especially all the great roads for riding motorcycles on a Sunday like RR 2222 and RR2244 are now clogged thoroughfares with two many rich Yuppies driving BMWs and Audis (cars) and way too many crotch rockets ridden by idiots in T-shirts and tennis shoes way too fast.

Dallas is number 8 and my experience is it is like Houston. Get a radar detector, try to stay close to the pack, don't stand out or get way ahead of the pack, and don't haul ass on side streets to avoid getting a "certificate of driving performance" :bmw:
Very good advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts