BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to use a make shift tool the first time around so I went searching and found a Draper 38327 14mm Hex. 3/8 Sq. Drive Drain Plug Key. Just got done using it and it worked perfectly. I could even put it on my torque wrench to get the plug properly torqued.

I got mine on fleebay and it took a couple weeks to arrive. Thought I would share in case there are others looking for an option to make getting the drain plug out easier.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Do you still have to remove the muffler bracket or does the 3/8 drive fit with out removing any other brackets or bolts?

Jim

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you still have to remove the muffler bracket or does the 3/8 drive fit with out removing any other brackets or bolts?

Jim
Still have to remove the muffler bracket, but this fits nicely above the center stand bracket.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What's the overall length of the tool? On my '05 LT, I only have 2.25 " of vertical space below the drain plug. My 3/8" drive torque wrench doesn't do a high enough range, and using my 1/2" drive torque wrench would require a adapter to work with a 3/8, eating up extra space. I'm afraid the combo wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Tip-the muffler bracket has been off my bike now for more than 100K miles. It's easy to change the fluid-I do it way more often than when recommended.

Dave

Reactions: ALL4BMW

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the overall length of the tool? On my '05 LT, I only have 2.25 " of vertical space below the drain plug. My 3/8" drive torque wrench doesn't do a high enough range, and using my 1/2" drive torque wrench would require a adapter to work with a 3/8, eating up extra space. I'm afraid the combo wouldn't fit.
I'll try to remember to get a length measurement tonight. Think it is safe to say that putting a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on it will make it too long to fit in there. It works great on my 3/8" ratchet or 3/8" SnapOn torque wrench. You could skip the torque wrench and just give it a "one grunt" torque rating with your 3/8" ratchet. ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tool is 1.58"

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Tip-the muffler bracket has been off my bike now for more than 100K miles. It's easy to change the fluid-I do it way more often than when recommended.

Dave
I have my 99 K1200Lt now for 6 months. Since I could not find any history of service, I have just replaced the oil filter, changed the oil, final drive oil, and transmission oil. More services to follow...

I found a video on youtube 9BMW of Illinois) on how to change the transmission fluid. It did mention the bracket, but mine does not have that. It was quite easy to access the drain plug. Does anyone here knows if the 99 model comes with or without the muffler bracket?

Thank you!

Jerry

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Richard,

Good to see you posting again and with a great tool source. We really enjoyed the lunch with you and your wife there in Mukilteo last fall. Thanks again for the treat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts