BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the new owner of an 04 R1150RT, I've decided that I want to be able to handle as many repair procedures as I can at home. My tendency has always been to tackle jobs bigger than my ability and I've found that having the right tools on hand has often saved my bacon.

However, BMW motorcycles are a new thing for me.Not sure where to start.

To that end, I'm wondering if there might a detailed list of preferred tools posted somewhere? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Start with a couple of good torque wrenches, 0-25 and 0-100. A cheap volt/ohm meter and if you intend to do your own throttle body sync, a twin max and find all the web write ups on it. The rest of the tools are standard metric. What I can't get at sears I get here: http://www.wihatools.com/. The latest versions of Sears wrenches are for me strickly weld to change items. I only buy their sockets now. And then I have several other brands too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
beech said:
Start with a couple of good torque wrenches, 0-25 and 0-100. A cheap volt/ohm meter and if you intend to do your own throttle body sync, a twin max and find all the web write ups on it. The rest of the tools are standard metric. What I can't get at sears I get here: http://www.wihatools.com/. The latest versions of Sears wrenches are for me strickly weld to change items. I only buy their sockets now. And then I have several other brands too.
Thanks for the info and website. This will get me started. Now I'm wondering if I should also pick up the Clymer manual. Seems as though I've read that it's pretty handy. Any opinions?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm not familiar with your bike, but the newer BMWs require Torx and hexhead (allen) wrenches. I've got 3/8" drive sockets of both type as well as the standard L shaped ones and some screwdriver Torx, too! They all get used.

Other than those, standard hand tools are all that is needed for most jobs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts