BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would appreciate any feedback from European/UK owners on what you got in your 05 tool kit.
Did it include the puncture repair kit as well ?
Did you have to pay extra for these items or were they included "free" with the bike.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have the repair set in my tool kit. It came with the bike, no extra charges.

According to this overview the tyre repair kit was only included until October 2004. Mine is produced before that date.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Simon,

Yep, got everything the full kit when I picked up my LT last September (04), from Rainbow in Rotherham. Sounds like you may have an issue with your dealer.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody with a bike purchased in 05 ?.

The reason I ask is that bikes sold in Spain only get a reversable screwdriver and 4 fuses, whilst those sold next door in Portugal get the whole set including the puncture repair kit, so it is obviously a national not a dealer thing.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you follow the link in my post above, you will see that many more items from the standard tool kit were discontinued. Probably these are now included in the supplementary toolkit. :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Quite right Erwin - 05's have this lovely "mini" tool kit, and you are "allowed" to buy the supplementary toolkit to get all the bits you actually may want.

if I'd known about this - I'd have held on to my 03's kit...

SOmeone said it was a dealer issue - not at all - its our nice BMW AG assuming that we don't want to have tools (well, not without having them as an optional extra - getting a bit like the cars of the 80's and 90's)

·
Registered
426 Posts
My '05 here in America only had the reverseable screwdriver and 4 fuses. I have added about 2.5 kilos of other things. Mostly the basics discussed on this forum.
Rick

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
TandemCyclist said:
My '05 here in America only had the reverseable screwdriver and 4 fuses.

Rick
Hey - in the UK, I got all of that, plus a little wire thingy to tie my crash hat under the seat, AND a fuse puller :rolleyes: - I thought my dealers had stolen the contents, till I found out that that is all you get nowadays :( . I didn't even get a torch :(:(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Woolly said:
I didn't even get a torch
Ah - now there the dealer did do you.

You're supposed to be given a little Eveready torch in a blister pack with a battery. If there were "nice", it would have been fitted to teh pocket.

I think it came in the crate the bike comes in - with all the bike docns

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Erwin,

Followed your link, which by the way, is the best parts site I have seen so far, and what they show is what you get if you buy a bike in Portugal !.
This seems to be a BMW worldwide thing, where individual countries can include or not, depending on their marketing outlook.

What I cannot understand is that if you want a puncture repair kit, you have to buy one.

Am going to discuss it with my dealer.

Wooly, would complain about the torch, it is definitely a standard part.

Simon

·
Registered
378 Posts
The puncture repair kit isn't part of the supplementary kit - its just (just?) tools - pliers, screw driver, couple of spanners, box spanner, wheel brace etc

Personally, I've got tyre sealant so I wouldn't use - haven't used a tyre reapir kit - not in the 11+ years of owning BMW's, and those are the only bikes I've owned that came with the repair kit.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Niall said:
The puncture repair kit isn't part of the supplementary kit - its just (just?) tools - pliers, screw driver, couple of spanners, box spanner, wheel brace etc

Personally, I've got tyre sealant so I wouldn't use - haven't used a tyre reapir kit - not in the 11+ years of owning BMW's, and those are the only bikes I've owned that came with the repair kit.
Niall, you should know - if you ride with a puncture repair kit. you will never ever get a flat, likewise for any other 'special' tools. I must admit I was a bit suprised at the TOTAL lack of tools in the large (05 UK) tool roll, still, you can't beat a warranty (or credit card) and a mobile phone :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
378 Posts
Woolly said:
if you ride with a puncture repair kit. you will never ever get a flat

Oh how I wish that was true...

The tiny toolkit did come of a surprise to me as well - had me dropping in to Halfords on the way home to buy some basics - just to do basics.

After all - how DO you get the rear tyre out without the simple pieces of screw driver and torx screw? You can't even get to it without those.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wooly, not EXACTLY true !
Had occasion to use mine twice, once in Morocco, once in Tunisia, where the BMW break down service is not exactly fast.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
simoncharles said:
Wooly, not EXACTLY true !
Had occasion to use mine twice, once in Morocco, once in Tunisia, where the BMW break down service is not exactly fast.
Hi Simon,

riding down to Erfoud at the end of April - couple of questions for you....

1. Are the roads suitable for an LT? (or, is an LT suitable for Morocco?)

2. What do you do bout insurance - we're going into Morocco from Ceuta - I've learned that people there will get insurance for you (for a fee/baksheesh) - is a green card acceptable from the UK?

3. I've also learned that Morocco is the pick-pocket / sneakthief capitol of the world - did you have any problems?

4. Are sand/dust storms a problem? - is it recomended to take a bike cover with you?

5. Did you find most hotels had garages/secure parking? - if not, did you feel this was a problem?

6. Any tools/parts/stuff you'd wished you had, but didn't take with you?

...really appreciate your thoughts/replies.

Thanks,

Wool.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wooly,
Funnily enough I am going again this Easter, so I will be able to update you on any changes to below. This is my first time on an LT, but have been before with people who had one.

Roads: 90% of all roads are suitable for LT's, RT's, and any other sort of touring bike. Let's face it, few GS owners have much off road experience, especially in dunes etc. Even in the far South, such as Merzouga, where the desert starts, there are usually "tourist" camps, where although not tarmaced, the ground is solid enough to carry the bikes weight.

Insurance: you MUST have your companies Green Card to enable you to fill in the paperwork (lots) to enable you to enter Morocco. They are basically ensuring that whatever (vehicle) goes in, comes out. I have always entered directly from Spain -Tarifa to Tangiers, your passport is stamped on the ferry over which cuts out one thing to do.
You will be hassled to hire somebody to help fill in the paperwork and run around with them to get them stamped etc. Not a bad idea actually.
Try and get some local (Dirham) cash from your bank before you go ( sometimes not easy,best to find out) as although it is easy to exchange European money at/in the border, it is handy to have some as soon as you arrive for the odd tip here and there and is something less to do when doing the paperwork. Locals will obviously acccept any currency.

Crime: I personally have never had a problem. A friend of mine had his wallet stolen in the Medina in Fez, but that is asking for trouble, isn't it ?. Solution: don't take anything of value with you when visiting crowded places, which also applies to London and Barcelona as well, especially if you look like a tourist !.
I presume you will be staying in at least a 4 or 5 star hotel. They all have secure parking, normally with an armed guard at the entrance to keep the riff raff out. In any case, and at the moment, any Moroccan youth on an expensive bike would stand out a mile, and would not get far. You are continously coming across police patrols in the middle of nowhere. Foreign vehicles are waved through with a semi salute but the locals seem to have a hard time. The police will NOT stop you to fine you looking for a bribe instead. They value tourism too much to go down that road, and anyone caught stealing gets a very hard time from the authorities. Probably safer than home really.

Dust storms: only came across one down south next to the desert. Wouldn't worry as they only seem to occur there. Don't waste valuable space.

Tools: as you mentioned before in another post, if you've got it, you won't need it !. I always obviously take a tire repair kit, although every village has someone who could strip the bike down and fix it, plus an araldite 2 component set. I have been told it can seal a hole in the sump if needs be. Thankfully I cannot confirm that statement. Take a cloth to cover the bikes seat when strapped down on the ferry over, as some of the straps can be filthy.

Let me know what route you are planning to take, and hopefully I can give you a few more tips.

Simon

·
Registered
275 Posts
What tools???

My 05 LT came with a full tool kit including the tire repair stuff. The 06 GS I have now, just got the screwdriver an 4 fuses plus a adjustment tool for the front shock. I called BMWNA today to complain about the lack of, among other tools, a lug wrench and told them that IMHO it was a safety issue as you can't even check the lugs on the rear wheel. The reaction of the moron on the phone was that I should buy the tools from my dealer :rolleyes: . I told him to stick it :mad: . We spend more than enough $$ for the 'privilege' to ride these bikes. Is it too much to ask for a few tools??? I guess so.:eek:
If I had know about the tools, I would have kept the kit from the LT and swapped it for the GS's "kit(ch)"

Rant off...feel.....better........now :cool:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
simoncharles said:
Wooly,
Funnily enough I am going again this Easter, so I will be able to update you on any changes to below. This is my first time on an LT, but have been before with people who had one.
Simon
Hi Simon, we've finally got some dates - Portsmouth-Bilbao ferry on the 13th April, couple of days down through Spain, then Algeciras- Tangiers ferry. Ride down to Erfoud, then down to Merzouga to visit the desert dunes, back up to Tangiers, up through Spain (possibly in and out of Portugal), and ferry back to Portsmouth on the 26th, then a 'long ride back' to the poor impoverished North East of England - 4 bikes going, including my LT and a GW!! - would be fun to meet up with you...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably miss each other as I am provisionally booked on the 15.00 ferry leaving Tangiers on 16th April (don't forget there is a 2 hour time difference), but will keep a look out. What colour the GW ?.

You will be arriving in Spain in the middle of the Easter holidays so expect to find a lot of traffic on the roads.
The route south I suggest you should take would be:
Bilbao, Burgos, around Madrid, Toledo well worth a days visit, Cordoba, cross country to Antequera, Ronda, San Roque, Algeciras. The last bit has some spectacular scenery and avoids the terrible coast road from Malaga to Algeciras.

What time does the ferry arrive in Bilbao ?.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
simoncharles said:
What colour the GW ?.

The route south I suggest you should take would be:
Bilbao, Burgos, around Madrid, Toledo well worth a days visit, Cordoba, cross country to Antequera, Ronda, San Roque, Algeciras. The last bit has some spectacular scenery and avoids the terrible coast road from Malaga to Algeciras.

What time does the ferry arrive in Bilbao ?.
Hi Simon,

The GW is Blue (??) - My LT is Anthracite. I know Cordoba, Burgos & Toledo fairly well (I have an old - ex-colonial Argentine aunty who lives in Madrid - apart from Algeciras, I don't know south of Madrid that well, but shall take your advice. I appreciate your thought's about the heavy holiday traffic, but unfortunately one of the guys (he on the goldwing) could not get away until Easter. The ferry arrives Bilbao bout 8ish in the morning - I know the traffic around the docks can be a nightmare, but should be a 'warmish' nightmare. One last question - presumably, the insurance you have to buy in Tangiers will be third party only?? - I am strugling to find anyone who will do fully comp for Morocco, or even 'breakdown recovery' - any ideas,

Thanks,

Wool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts