BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please recommend a tool kit for a 2008 K1200LT? I bought the bike last year; it had only 5K miles, but did not include any tools.

Thanks very much,

Craig (Michigan)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought one of these kits off Amazon.com

CRUZTOOLS TOOL KIT BMW RTB1 RTB1
Sold by: Atlantic Moto

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've noticed tool kit requests in the past. Do they no longer come with tool kits? I bought my '02 used in '08 and got a very decent BMW branded tool roll in it's spot in the left side case. I say decent because it compared to the ones I've gotten with Japanese bikes they seem like Craftsmen or Snap-On. :rotf:

·
Registered
607 Posts
saddleman said:
Here is what I carry.

I assume one up, no trailer, extra firm shocks, etc.????

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
saddleman said:
Here is what I carry.
Holy frijole, Dave!!! You pull into a dealer's parking lot and the mechanics take the rest of the day off!!! :D I'm beginning to follow El Jeffe's lead, and carry a cell phone, credit card, and maybe a first aid kit!!! Minimalist makes it easier on ole Toad's back, too!!!

Good job, btw. You bein' in the bidness you're in, I think you're qualified to use it all!!! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The first time I took the tupperware off, I wrote down the different sizes of Torx and Hex that I needed. I then went to Sears and bought a nifty little kit of bits, a scredriver and a small 3 or 4 inch ratchet type deal and put them in a bag along with fuses, electrical tape, some pliers etc. I dont carry much more than that as I really dont plan on tearing into the bike beyond that. Oh, a cell phone and spot locator also.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bought a Cruz kit from the dealer that I bought the bike from as well as a tire repair kit.
The Cruz kit looks much better made than the BMW kit and was 1/2 the cost.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
saddleman said:
Here is what I carry.

I didn't see any DUCT TAPE in that lot :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
CraigCraig said:
Could someone please recommend a tool kit for a 2008 K1200LT? I bought the bike last year; it had only 5K miles, but did not include any tools.

Thanks very much,

Craig (Michigan)
I kept a list of tools I used when I put my CB on my LT ( required removing most tupperware, seats, etc.) and also when I changed front and rear tires. I then used that as a guide and bought what I needed at Sears. I haven't changed a final drive so I am sure I am lacking something for that (large hex wrench and cut-out socket, for example), but I think I have enough for most road-side repairs. I do need to add some electrical tape yet and other such sundries. I followed the lead of someone else on the forum and placed the tools in the bottom of my side bags and spent 4 hours with an Exacto knife making the cut-outs!

I will try to attach the list of tools (Excel) and a couple of pictures of the way I carry the tools.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Boatzo said:
I didn't see any DUCT TAPE in that lot :confused:
The duct tape , electric tape & stainless steel wire with aircraft winding plyers are there somewhere. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for all of the good suggestions. The LT is definitely a very smooth machine. It's my first K-bike after years of riding airheads. I've kept my R100RT.

Thanks again, Craig.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just purchased a new 09 LT last week. The only tools which were supplied were in the left bag, in a small pouch, consisting of a flimsy screwdriver, a fuse puller and a bunch of fuses. Nothing else.

Looking in the manual it suggested there should be more tools along with a helmet cable. Just looking for input before I go back to the dealer. Is this really all BMW supplies for the 09 model year? Seems odd......

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Kreiga tool bag/roll in the Aerostich catalog worked for me. It fits in the left trunk (not to long) and I was able to get everything in it I needed. Per some of the other advice CFell and others, I can do all of the maintenance I'm currently capable of with the tools in the kit. Have had off tupperware, spark plugs, all fluids etc. Not sure if I have what I would need for FD or bigger stuff, but don't know how to do these jobs anyway. That said, I am learning that this is a bike you need to learn to work on or have very deep pockets. The knowledge here has been great. Not looking forward to it, but I know when it happens there isn't anything that has not been dealt with by folks around here. Ride safe!

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Kreiga tool bag/roll in the Aerostich catalog worked for me. It fits in the left trunk (not to long) and I was able to get everything in it I needed. Per some of the other advice CFell and others, I can do all of the maintenance I'm currently capable of with the tools in the kit. Have had off tupperware, spark plugs, all fluids etc. Not sure if I have what I would need for FD or bigger stuff, but don't know how to do these jobs anyway. That said, I am learning that this is a bike you need to learn to work on or have very deep pockets. The knowledge here has been great. Not looking forward to it, but I know when it happens there isn't anything that has not been dealt with by folks around here. Ride safe!

·
Registered
656 Posts
LMAO!! yup you get a Philips screw driver good luck finding the singe screw that it turns and a fuse puller. See BMW figures the bike is so bloody awesome that absolutely nothing could possibly go wrong with it so you have no need for tool's either that or they fear the flimsy shock springs can't handle the extra weight take your pick.

Nickp said:
I just purchased a new 09 LT last week. The only tools which were supplied were in the left bag, in a small pouch, consisting of a flimsy screwdriver, a fuse puller and a bunch of fuses. Nothing else.

Looking in the manual it suggested there should be more tools along with a helmet cable. Just looking for input before I go back to the dealer. Is this really all BMW supplies for the 09 model year? Seems odd......

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now now let's not unduly insult the toolkit from recent years. In addition to the flimsy screwdriver, fuse puller and fuses you ALSO get a special plastic wrench with which to remove the radio antenna :histerica

·
Registered
31 Posts
rosenhauer said:
Don't forget one of these if you do any night riding.

http://www.powerflare.com/

Dave
Is that ($50) for just ONE unit......HOLY MOLY! :confused: I'll just wait til Walmart gets them for a 10th of the price. :rotf:

Great thread, my '05 didn't come with a tool kit either so I'm looking for something useful and compact as well!

Looking into the Cruz and Kreiga right now!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts