BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 K12LT with 30K miles and has probably never been through a spark plug change. Although the bike is performing well I would like to change the plugs on my next service in approximately a months time.

At the 24K service I tried to remove the existing cables but failed. I tired pulling the cable/spark plug cover (or cap) using various pliers but I would not come out. The bike started moving while it was on the center stand but the cover did not come out. I believe there is a special tool to remove these caps but I am unable to find the part number for it. The BMW dealer in Livermore said that BMW does not sell this tool anymore. I forgot to ask him for the part number (Damn!). Can the guru's here find me the part number or share a link where I can find this tool? It will be also helpful if there are any other tips on removing the cables.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
There should be a metal tab at the end of the spark plug boot. Just grab on with a pair of pliers and pull. They may be a little stuck but should come off with a little wiggle and a pull. :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
The trick is to rotate them with the pliers. They will then break loose and can easily be pulled straight out.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Oh and if you ever want to take a ride down the river to Brentwood ( about 65 miles) we can go over or service anything on your LT. Mini Tech sessions anytime. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amarider said:
Oh and if you ever want to take a ride down the river to Brentwood ( about 65 miles) we can go over or service anything on your LT. Mini Tech sessions anytime. :D
Thanks - I ride to Pleasanton everyday so Brentwood is on my way :) Lucky me. I will try this on the next service, if I fail again I will surely bring it over :) I just hope either all of them come out or none of them come out :rotf:

Dont want to use my own bike to check the mpg with just 2 cylinders running :histerica

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just a tip - If the leads are dry and tight on the spark plugs, then it may be possible as you suggest, that the spark plugs haven't been out of the head for a very long time. That being the case, it may pay to be careful during the undoing process, typically the spark plug may pick up some aluminium thread on the way out if the threads are really dry. I suggest if this starts to occur, to spray some penetrating fluid in around the base of the spark plug then work it back and forth in the hope of adding some lube to the threads. Then carefully try to undo it completely. Otherwise it may be a helicoil insert for the spark plug thread(s).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is a - "helicoil insert for the spark plug thread(s)"

·
Registered
498 Posts
LTFan said:
What is a - "helicoil insert for the spark plug thread(s)"
When the threads are stripped out, a good wrench will need to ream out the hole and insert a heli-coil (new threads). Google it. I hope you won't need it.

Use anti-seize when reinstalling plugs, and absolutely use connector grease on the plug wires.....

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
A thin pair of needle nose pliers works well to grab the base of the boots and twist them on the plugs until they break loose. Then grab the metal tab and pull them off. One caution on silicone grease for the boots. Sometimes it tends to throw off vapors and can cause the boots to pressurize and pop off. Sounds weird, huh? Didn't believe it until I saw it happen myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts